+ Reply to Thread

Default What to do with uneven celing?

I recently bought a vacation cottage and am planning many projects inside & out. The living room is a large "great room" about 27x19 with an 8-foot ceiling of 1/4" paneling nailed directly to the trusses, with foil-faced fiberglass insulation above. This paneling on stud is popular in cottages in northern Michigan--maybe because it survives winter shut-down. Mine is quite uneven and with no walls, beams or lights to break it up, it's pretty obvious.

I'm thinking I can fix this 2 ways:
    1 - Correct the flatness by either sistering new joists to the old, or running furring strips perpendicular to the joists & shim those flat. then hang a new ceiling--probably t&g pine planks.
    2 - Hide the waves by breaking up the expanse some way. Thinking a coffered ceiling, fake beams, stucco...something like that.

I can't see how I can FIX the problem without losing nearly 3 inches of height (3/4 fur + 3/4 plank + shims for maybe 1" error) so I'm more interested in ideas to conceal the problem.

I'm open to any & all ideas. This is just a cottage so I'm looking for something I can do myself to keep the cost reasonable.

Default Re: What to do with uneven celing?

install furring 3/4" furring strips to the underside of the joists and shim them as needed to create a flat surface
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Why not nail over it with some 3/4" bead boards?

You could look at the RC-1 Resilient Channel and 1/2 inch dry wall.

OK I know I can shim and fur it flat. Looking for alternatives that wont cost me inches of height.

your not losing inches. your losing 3/4" you can sister 2x4 to the sides of hte joists but thats more money on material.

if your ceiling is less than 7'6" i wouldnt worry about it. what im suggesting is done everyday by pros like myself and houston among others on the boards

Agreed that the 3/4 T&G is the way to go. Easy to do, looks nice, and it won't sag over time plus you won't miss the tiny lost height one bit.

Phil

I really like the looks of a coffered ceiling in a large room. The ceiling is maybe one inch max from flat...+3/4 furring + whatever I put up = about 2.5". If I did the coffered ceiling I'd lose another 4". Looks like I cant do both.

if you do go with a coffered ceiling your going ot have to have a flat ceiling to start with. otherwise your margins are going to be all over the place from one section to another. . by furring down the ceiling first you'll have a much larger area to fasten the ceiling finish to

margins ?

My original hope was that a "busy" ceiling like this would hide the waves but nobody at all is suggesting I go down that road.

Last edited by guy48065; 02-24-2013 at 10:48 PM.