+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default True volume of paint in cans

Does anyone know when a gallon of paint became less than a gallon? What I mean by this is that I recently was going through my supply of paint and noticed that the volume ranged from 122oz to 126oz, instead of 128oz. Also, I just purchased a "quart" of Behr that was 29oz instead of 32oz. Might this be room left to add tint? Or are we getting bamboozled?

As a side note, I am a connoisseur of ice cream, and I know that it has been 10+ years (maybe much longer) that a 1/2 gallon (2 quarts) was really 1.5q to 1.75q.

Just curious...

Axel

Default Re: True volume of paint in cans

In the case of your ice cream, they can maintain or lower the price by giving you slightly less, but design the container to look almost the "correct" size.

In the case of your paint, there is usually room for a few ounces of tint, depending on size of can.

I have noticed over the years that the volume of most things, regardless of what the product is, is less than it used to be. Soup cans used to be 12 ounces, now they're 10.5. Canning jars used to be true capacity, now they're smaller, anywhere from a few ounces to half a cup.

Part of this is due to the conglomeration of the use of metric and the SAE standard in this country, rather than sticking to one unit of measure. The bigger part is corporate greed of giving less and charging more. Not much you can do but rant about it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I agree with spruce, it's all corporate mambo jambo and greed, under the wings of inflation. How else are they going to pay the CEO 200,000,000 a year?

Case in point: toilet tissue. A roll used to have 500 double ply sheets and each sheet was that big and a four pack was 99 cents. Today, after dozens of reductions, a roll is 180 sheets or less, a sheet is about the size of a postage stamp and a four pack is 2 dollars.

Don't squeeze it, just pay the money.

Spruce is correct about the paint. A "deep base" paint from which very dark colors are made, has to be able to accept over 16 ounces of tint. The can is short about an inch from the rim when opened, but not once the tints are shot in. A "white base" will be almost to the rim, as they only accept 2 to 4 ounces.