+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Bathroom ceiling repair

Hello,
    I'd like some advice on ceiling repair in my bathroom, specifically the area above the tub.

When looking facing the side of the tub, the ceiling comes down and then in, forming a lower ceiling like area the width of the tub. This means that there is a vertical section from the "Ceiling" of the tub to the actual bathroom ceiling.

Where the vertical portion meets the actual ceiling cracks / holes have appeared in what appears to be dry wall. In addition, the "ceiling" above the tub is starting to show small lined cracks, it looks as though there is a main centre portion of drywall for the ceiling, and around the sides about 1/2 - 1 inch border, and it's the space between this border and the ceiling where the fine line cracks are appearing

The advice I'm looking for is how best to repair both of these issues.

My first thought was to strip the paint away, polyfilla it, sand it down, then prime and paint. I'm not convinced by that and am thinking that perhaps drywall mesh tape / hole patch kit might be a better approach, the thinking being, remove the old paint, put the tape or patch square over the holes, apply something (drywall compound / plaster?) to fill over it, then sand, prime and paint. This would, I think be able to be done to both areas that need repair.

So, does this sound right, if not, what to do, and what to use?

One problem is this is our only bath / shower, so I need to make sure whatever I do is pretty quick drying / setting, as we cannot really be without a bath / shower for too long.

Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Bathroom ceiling repair

Tell us a little bit about the venting method in your bathroom: mechanical fan/vent or window to the outside?

Hello,
    extractor fan in ceiling, vents to outside via exit in roof.

Without seeing the ceiling, I suspect high humidity to cause the problem. With the humidity, the ceiling drywall swells and the extra weight make it sag. Your solution of adding more weight to the drywall won't work.

I would cut the sagging part and replace it with new drywall, properly fastened, then finished.

I'd upgrade the vent fan. Most builders install the cheapest fan possible. Panasonic makes some very nice ones, that start around $120.

Get a vent fan that makes the toilet paper flap in the breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Without seeing the ceiling, I suspect high humidity to cause the problem. With the humidity, the ceiling drywall swells and the extra weight make it sag. Your solution of adding more weight to the drywall won't work.

I would cut the sagging part and replace it with new drywall, properly fastened, then finished.
    If it's sagging then it's very minimal to the eye. I do agree humidity probably has quite a bit to do with it. I think that there was probably a small hole in the vertical side of things and humidity is causing problems.

No bigger than the area is, I would redo the ceiling over the tub with new MR sheetrock as well as checking the ventilation. That should effect a permanent cure whereas patching only a portion may see another part failing similarly later on.

Phil