+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Water sucked out of 2nd toilet, vent stack is clear

I have 2 toilets which tie into a 3" stack. The first (main) is located approximately 3 ft from the stack and connected with a 3 inch line and sanitary tee. The second is located approximately 15 ft from the stack and connected with a 3 inch line and sanitary tee. The second ties into the stack approximately 6" on center below the main toilet. When the main toilet is flushed, the water is sucked out of the second toilet bowl. The vent stack is 3" out the roof and is NOT cloged. In the photos, the left side is the second toilet, the right is the main toilet. Up vents out the roof, down goes ino the basement floor and to the sewer. Thoughts on how to fix this?

Default Re: Water sucked out of 2nd toilet, vent stack is clear

There is no picture.

John

Sorry, I tried uploading them and it didn't work. It wouldn't let me post a link since I am a new user..Let's see...

go to picasaweb[dot]google[dot]com/106874389684558484379/February222013#

Vaulter, I saw the photos.

I have a question for you: how is the copper drain pipe bonded into the PVC fittings?

from what i know, which may or may not be alot, there is a vent clog somewhere. maybe you just can't find it. i can't think of any other reason why something like that might happen. i'd recommend having a plumber snake the vent from the roof to the basement or have a plumber with a scope run a camera down the length of the vent. i'll bet you that there's something blocking the vent somewhere, maybe an elbow or somewhere else.

Your problem is caused by not having a vent on the lower connection. When the toilet on the upper connection flushes it blocks the venting of the lower line.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I have also installed an AAV on the sink, which i ties into the same drain as the toilet (i think it is a 1.5"x3" wye). Did not do anything to help the problem...

Could it be something related to how close the 2 sanitary tees are to each other when they tie into the main stack? They are only abut 6" on center, which is 3" between the bottom of the main toilet drain, and the top of the other drain. Could this somehow be creating a siphon in the second line that even the AAV cannot handle?
    Last edited by vaulter825; 02-24-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Yes as the flush from above rushes by the lower line it creates a suction.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

either the vent is blocked or something is not properly vented.....end of story

already covered....ignore.