+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tiller Question

Default Tiller Question

I haven't gardened in years, and having never been the one who did the tilling, I have forgotten a couple of things. My father in law used to till my garden spot for me and then with just some slight adjustment to his tiller, threw up the rows for me as well. I know he didn't put any type of attachment on his tiller, he just adjusted the tines in some way. I don't remember what he did, but if anyone out there knows how to do this, I would appreciate a refreshser. Thanks!!

Default Re: Tiller Question

Unless you're in a colder climate, there's no reason to create elevated rows for planting, in fact, just creating a slight trough or hole is better, as it will hold water around the plant better than it being in a raised environment.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would agree with Sprucy in that you do not really need raised rows for a home garden. I have not grown veggies in years either but will this year. I have very little space as I live in a townhouse but here we go. Mine will be mostly container gardening since bunnies are very prolific.

Interesting video from a Boulder "neighbor"

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/20...urban-farming/

Thanks for the reply A. Spruce. I know I can garden "flat", but prefer to have hipped rows. I've done it both ways over the years, and seem to have a better yield with my rows. We also tend to have a good deal of rain during the planting season and this keeps everything from being at the bottom of the puddle so to speak. So, for me, it's a better way. Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply NEC, and good luck with your containers. I don't have much room either, so will do some container gardening as well. Potatoes in a barrel is one of my favorites. Have fun.

No problem. If you want furrows, then you'll have to attach a furrower to your tiller or garden tractor to make them OR pull the dirt into hills with a rake after tilling. If your father in law was able to do it with a tiller alone, he likely just tilled the rows, leaving walk spaces between his tiller passes. He may have removed the outside tines of the tiller to create a narrower row. Hope that helps.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks again A. Spruce. I was trying to avoid having to use the rake to make my rows, but ended up doing it that way. We tried removing the outside tines of the tiller and that didn't work. Sounded logical to me though so we tried it anyway. My father in law definitely did something other than just tilling. He'd till up the garden and then go back over the whole thing (after making an adjustment to the tiller) and it would then all be "thrown up in rows". I'll eventually find out what it was...there are still folks to ask within the family who may remember what it was he did. If not, I guess I'll get a furrowing attachment before next season.