Default Question About Primer

What is the difference between primer and latex paint. If I put on a primer coat, do I always need to add a finish coat? I am painting my bathroom ceiling and used Kilz. Since the Kilz is white why do I need to paint it again.

Default Re: Question About Primer

Primer is a base coat that seals in dust, dirt, and stains, giving the top coat a more stable base to bond to, it is not a durable finish.

Top coats are specifically designed for color and durability. They are a thicker viscosity material, so they cover better and more evenly. Being thicker viscosity material, it doesn't adhere well to unprepared surfaces.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

What spruce said, plus: look at primer as your underwear and paint your clothes. Would you step out in your underwear only? don't think so.

In the rentals I did a few years back, we switched to using Kilz2 for ceilings. It did the stain-blocking and gave a slightly glossy white finish coat that endured well enough. The only issue I found was that not every batch is tinted equally so I boxed all the stuff together before application. It isn't the best finish coat but it will work fine in this application if you're not too picky- most folks never notice the difference.

Phil

Thanks Phil, you answered my question. This is a rental as well and I have beadboard on the ceiling which is already painted white. I have a gallon on Kilz and would like to use it up.