+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default is my fireplace safe to use?

    We recently moved into our first home and the interior of our fireplace has been painted. I did the alcohol rub test and it appears to be oil-based paint - the paint didn't come off when rubbed with alcohol. Is it safe to burn a fire in a painted fireplace?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,004

    Default Re: is my fireplace safe to use?

    chances are that it is NOT ok to have a fire. the smartest thing to do, since you just move in there, is to have your fireplace and chimney inspected by a chimney expert.

    this is something that your home inspector should have done prior to your purchasing the house.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,699

    Default Re: is my fireplace safe to use?

    Actually you have a flammable condition, so don't even think about lighting the fireplace right now.

    You'll end up removing the paint off.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    598

    Default Re: is my fireplace safe to use?

    I take it the FP is a metal one?????
    Gizmo

    Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: is my fireplace safe to use?

    NO+NO + NO +No =NO
    I'm wondering if it was painted because it could not be used anymore .
    Last edited by tooltrader; 02-19-2013 at 02:08 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: is my fireplace safe to use?

    No is not safe!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •