+ Reply to Thread

Default Venting Microwave

I wish to install an over the range microwave (probably a GE Adavantium 240 V model) and vent the hood to the outside. Researching this, I see that it has a 300 CFM fan as do most of the over the range microwaves. Is this sufficient to vent to the outside side and what size duct should I use? As it will be mounted on an interior wall, my run will be about 15' with one 90. Also, is the placement of the vent outlet the same across all manufacturers? I haven't bought the unit yet, and want to run the duct first.

Default Re: Venting Microwave

Quote Originally Posted by tonynace View Post
    I wish to install an over the range microwave (probably a GE Adavantium 240 V model) and vent the hood to the outside. Researching this, I see that it has a 300 CFM fan as do most of the over the range microwaves. Is this sufficient to vent to the outside side and what size duct should I use? As it will be mounted on an interior wall, my run will be about 15' with one 90. Also, is the placement of the vent outlet the same across all manufacturers? I haven't bought the unit yet, and want to run the duct first.
    Yes , and vented to the outside is preferred.
    Typically these units will require a 3-1/4 x 10 rectangular or 6 inch round duct.

Go to GE's web-site and download the installation instructions to see what's needed.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Is it a mirowave or oven or combo oven/micro. The only reason Im questioning is the 240 volts.

You can download the installation manual ****** if you have the model numbers. The installation for the venting will be in the manual.

For some reason Im thinking there were recalls on the ovens and micro's due to fire. You might want to research that also.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Is it a mirowave or oven or combo oven/micro. The only reason Im questioning is the 240 volts.

You can download the installation manual ****** if you have the model numbers. The installation for the venting will be in the manual.

For some reason Im thinking there were recalls on the ovens and micro's due to fire. You might want to research that also.
    It is a microwave with convection and a halogen lamp that cooks and browns as well. I could have chosen a 120 V model instead, but the 240 v model will do the job a lot faster for not much more money. I have not seen any info on fires on reviews on these models and I've looked them up quite a bit. They've been out quite a while now, and maybe they had some problems in earlier models.

I don't have anything to add about the ducting of this unit but I will say that the house we're in had one of the first GE Advantium ovens installed over the range like you speak of. It was relatively complicated to use AND we found that we never used the browning feature (the halogen light). It was probably about 3-4 years old and started to give us trouble. Fortunately the previous owner had an extended warranty on the unit. After having it fixed several times and waiting for parts and other techs to come out and try to diagnose the problem (it was down for weeks at a time..we had to get a small, portable countertop microwave to use in the meantime), we sc****d it and just got a regular over the range microwave with the convection feature. MAYBE the technology has caught up and they're much more reliable now.

Thumbs up Re: Venting Microwave

I'm here (and have joined) looking to see if installation is any different nowadays with all the extra attention paid to insulation & sealing. I'm not finding anything that wouldn't apply to a ducted install from 30 years ago. A little surprising, but I'm OK with simple.

Also wanted to cast a vote for the Advantium units. Been using an over-range one for several years and absolutely love it and plan to get another one for my cottage. I have a small-ish kitchen and the extra oven does come in handy. Didn't know they were available in 240V so I've already learned something here on my first visit