+ Reply to Thread

Default Lack of draining in bathtub

I have a house built 1930. The pipe from the bathtub to the stack is clogged. Have tried drano, have used a Zip-it, have tried sucking out with a wet-dry vac. And it still does not drain, or does very, very slowly. Have poured hot water in the bathtub. You can feel the heat from this water is the pipes downstairs, and then you can feel where the water stops and the pipes are cold. How do you fix this?

Default Re: Lack of draining in bathtub

Snake the line. It's sounds like the stoppage is beyond the reach of the zip-it. And never use drain cleaners. They don't work and cause more problems, and at this point you don't need any more.

John

If you don't have a snake or if you don't know how to do it, call a plumber. Only this way you will have the line cleared of whatever stoppage you have.

We tried to snake it. But it appears the clog is on the other side of the bends and turns of the pipe. Cannot take the pipe apart as they put the duct work in AFTER the plumbing. I am guessing it is either cutting part of the pipe out and replacing with PVC...

There should be no reason that a snake can not make it through the turns in the drain line. You may be in over your head and it's time to call a plumber.

John

Yep --- I agree with johnjh20 --- try Shorty's plumbing & heating.

btw -- I've never seen anyone use PVC in Winterpeg -- It's pretty much ABS used exclusively.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

The drain lines may be 1 1/2 which was acceptable a long time ago .
    Using Drano may have made the problem worse .
    The clog is probably emulsified . Whatever reaches the clog slips through then seals itself again.
    Time for a pro type snake w/ plenty of hot water . I had a similar problem from the kitchen sink at my dads house . I finally had to cut the pipe under the house ,where I saw the thick med. soft plug that was approx. 8-10 in.
    filling the entire pipe . I'm sure the small hand cable I used was reaching but the clog was just too soft I guess . Or if time and patience permits, I have had luck with an organic cleaner that is mixed w/ water . It recommends to not use the drain for six hrs and may need more than
    one treatment . If available in your area it is called Drain Care . It is a sandy looking substance that has some kind of a bacteria . Since it was my dads home , I had to solve the problem right now.

Actually we cut the cast iron pipe and replaced with abs pipe, a 6ft section. When I looked through the cast iron pipe, you could not see through to the end anymore. Everything is good now and drains wonderfully.

Thanks for the update