+ Reply to Thread

Default How deep are old lines typically buried?

I did some preemptive work to bypass some buried supply lines this weekend in prep for house leveling. A good bit of my cold supply is/was buried and now that it is not active I want to rip it out of the ground so I no longer have pipes sticking up randomly(which I seem to have quite a lot of for some reason).

Anyway, when I started the project I got pretty frustrated as I got down about a foot and was still going straight down. Is there any average/uniform depth to which pipes are usually buried?

I want to remove all of the random pipes so I have a few less obstructions.

In a related note, I have a 2 1/2" iron pipe running the length of my house that is not a waste pipe. It can't be gas service as that enters at the meter elsewhere, and it certainly isn't water supply as I already dealt with that nightmare.

I want to cut it up and haul it off, but I want to make sure there isn't one more thing I am forgetting. I also want to make sure it isn't somehow connected to a 90 year old gas service and opening it up will unleash Gozer the Destroyer.

Default Re: How deep are old lines typically buried?

before digging up anything in your yard whether you think it's live or dead, you should contact "Dig Safe", they will come out and identify all underground utilities so you don't accidently blow yourself up or kill yourself.

oh, and all water lines should be burried below the frost line so that depends on what part of the country you live in.

Depth of lines depends on where you live. Check with your local building authority, as they may also have drawings and plans.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    before digging up anything in your yard whether you think it's live or dead, you should contact "Dig Safe", they will come out and identify all underground utilities so you don't accidently blow yourself up or kill yourself.
    I have done this in the past and I am in no danger there as I remember the markings. Electrical is overhead, waste goes out in the opposite direction, water is on the other side of the house and is above ground, I may or may not have moved the feed from the telco, gas is buried in the back and this pipe heads toward the front.

Function,

It may not be worth your time to dig out unused pipes. What do you do with those which stick out then? dig around those to determine why they are there, and then decide whether to cancel them or leave them alone.

You give no indication of where you are located, how old the house is, and is it may have been on a septic system at one time.

Here the depth is 48".
    The 2" pipe may have been a gray water line. In older houses they were used to drain gray water and not run it into the septic system. It could also be part of a rain water drain or basement drain.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Function,

It may not be worth your time to dig out unused pipes. What do you do with those which stick out then? dig around those to determine why they are there, and then decide whether to cancel them or leave them alone.
    Actually, I'll side with Function on this one. I too would rather dig out old irrigation lines, etc., rather than abandon them. The reason being, down the road more trench work will likely be done and when those abandoned pipes are found, who knows if they're live or not, especially if you're new to the site. It never fails, if you're digging a fence post hole, pond, or what-have-you, where you're digging is where the pipes will most likely be. Get rid of them now while you know what and where they are, and never worry about them again.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I should have said, this is a pier and beam house, I am only addressing lines in the crawlspace. I know some are old supplies from fixtures. House is 100+ years old.
    The gray water thought is an interesting one.