+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Cracked shower pan

Does anyone know where I can buy the materials to properly repair a cracked plastic shower pan? All I've been able to find are either videos showing how to do it, or links to people to hire to do it, but no resources for the DIYer. I want to do it right, not just an automotive Bondo job. I've seen clips on either fiberglass layers sanded and finished with an epoxy paint or applying a sheet fitted to cover the whole bottom, adhered and blended at the edges. Both look good, but I can't find where to buy either. The manufacturer doesn't offer anything and I don't want to replace the unit since that involves tearing out and patching tile on the walls which could just cause a new problem!

Old Tom

Default Re: Cracked shower pan

Are you going to foam underneath? Im not so sure a repair will work if you dont
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

The base already has a foam base under it. I've seen some videos that show adding foam, but I'm not sure if there's any room to add more. I would consider it.

Old Tom

Stores carry repair kits, if you search you can find them.

As a contractor I would never do this to someone's home, knowing the high risk of failure.

Be aware what you are looking for is a bandaide solution and not a true repair. If you're happy with that, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    As a contractor I would never do this to someone's home, knowing the high risk of failure.

Be aware what you are looking for is a bandaide solution and not a true repair. If you're happy with that, go for it.
    I think that OLD TOM is aware of this, and is willing to do a temporary repair, to avoid an expensive solution.

A $25 repair kit is substantially cheaper. But I wouldn't do it because the leak will return very soon and the repair job will look awful.

Look in the paint section of any hardware store, you'll find fiberglass repair kits. Here's the thing, if you want a professional job, hire a professional. The videos make it look easy, but there is far more to it than goobering on the goo and slapping in some fiber mesh, particularly when it comes to the top coats and finish. I am a professional and I'd still leave this to someone who does it every day. For around $350, you can get the crack repaired and the entire shower pan resurfaced, it will look almost as good as new and carry a warranty. For $20 you can attempt to do it yourself and get mixed results.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!