+ Reply to Thread

Default Kitchen Counter Top Material

We are renovating our kitchen and need some advice on the use of marble for the counters. We have found a great deal of conflicting information, some of which strongly advises against carerra marble in the kitchen due to it easily staining or etching. Others have advised that the use of honed vs polished marble has proven to be quite durable when properly sealed. We love the look of the carerra marble but wonder if granite may be more the more practical choice. Advice from someone who has first hand experience with marble counters in the kitchen would be very much appreciated.

Default Re: Kitchen Counter Top Material

Marble is to soft, to porous to be used for counter tops.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Choose granite over marble. There is a reason why granite is the number 1 choice for stone counter top.

While honed marble comes pre etched, it will still easily stain from oil, grease, kool-aide, jello, mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup, soy sauce, spaghetti sauce, lemon juice, windex, orange juice, cranberry juice, blueberry pie, lipstick, chocolate, shoe polish, red wine, magic markers, red vinegar, cooking sherry, raspberry preserves, cola, bar-b-que sauce, blood, colored icing, butter, syrup.......

My favorite tile saleslady keeps a 12x24" piece of marble on her desk. Every customer signs their paperwork on it. She did this on purpose so everyone can see what happens to marble and travertine. The stains are circled and the names written in sharpie. Even then she gets a few complaints a year, "YOU should have told us!!"

I love Carerra Marble as well. I had carrera marble countertops installed in our kitchen. The only reason the Coliseum looks the way it does is because most of the Carrara marble was looted and used for stairs, counters in fact any kind of building possible. Granite is a much better choice of stone than marble for a kitchen. It is a common coarse-grained, intrusive igneous rock that often includes quartz, mica and feldspar. Black quartz and granite countertops add refinement to your kitchen and improve its design and value.

I did a kitchen with Blue Pearl granite counter top last year.

I don't think there's a nicer counter top than this. Needless to say, the customer was on cloud 9.