+ Reply to Thread

Default How to install oak treads on brick steps

I have an addition on the back of my house. The old brick steps that used to lead outside, now lead down to the addition or den of the house. I would like to install oak treads over the brick steps but am not sure how to best attach the treads to the brick. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: How to install oak treads on brick steps

countersunk and counterbored tapcons so that the holes can be plugged.. or tear out the brick stairs and have stringers cut and installed
    fire up the saw and make some dust

The above suggestion will work, but before that I'd try a few well placed gooobers of PL Premium. Done correctly, the PL dries to rock hard in an hour. If they don't come loose in a week, they will be there for life. Do make sure the steps are as dust free as possible before applying the PL.

AT worst they come loose and you can do the screw down method with the old PL acting as a leveler.

Concrete masonry can maintain enough moisture content to make your treads swell and cup. I'd use a 2-part polyurethane rubber concrete sealer/adhesive system meant for gluing down engineered flooring to below-grade slabs.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

1 hr for pl to set up... ive never seen that happen and ive used hundreds of tubes of the stuf.. and if the treads arent mechancially fastened theres still a chance they will come loos not to mention shift while its setting up. all finished stairs we do no one walks on them for 12 hrs

if you pull the PL to add air to it, the stuff cures real fast. At least down here in South Texas

ive done that trick but it still can move around. i do it for closet shelving cleats so they dont slide as quick when im reaching for the nailer

I don't take chances with stairs. Unless I am positive an adhesive will work I want a mechanical fastener I know I can trust. The results of a tread slipping out as someone is running up the stairs isn't a pretty picture for the doctor, the lawyer, or me. Even as good as today's adhesives are I want more- just sayin!

Phil

I would have no worries using PL Premium (the old PL 100) it cures hard as steel. I have some holding the license plate bracket on my work trailer for months now. Rain, sun, Texas heat, and its still solid. PL also plugged all the pin holes in the top of my pop up trailer to keep it from leaking. All the other fixes failed before that.

In the odd event the PL fails, which you'll know by the next morning when applied right before bed time, you'll be right back where you started.