+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Refrigerator with LCD screen a good idea?

I am looking at get a new refrigerator for my kitchen very soon. The one we have is getting up there in the years and isn't staying up to speed with what we need out of a fridge. We want more space, on the door water and ice dispensers, and an updated look for our kitchen. I am beginning to see a lot of refrigerators with LCD screens. I saw a samsung refrigerator here that particularly caught my attention. I don't think it has come out yet and price is not an issue in my search. I was reading about it and it seems like the smart interactions with this fridge are pretty cool. Plus the space itself would be an exceptional upgrade.

So back to the point, does anyone else out there have a refrigerator with an LCD screen that can shed some light on the usefulness of it? Thanks.

Default Re: Refrigerator with LCD screen a good idea?

IMHO, the more electronics and gadgets something has, the more there is to go wrong and the more expensive repairs will be. I would stick to a unit without electronics.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce is absolutely right about hi tech products, except that ever since Samsung entered the USA market, with their super modern and revolutionary refrigerators, domestic manufacturers are trying to keep close, by upgrading their products with similar electronics and LED lights. It seems like you almost can't get an old fashion fridge anymore. Even middle of the road brands, like Tappen, Hotpoint, Amana, Frigidaire, Roper and others are upgrading or face declining sales.

My son got a Samsung about a month ago and I was impressed how well it's built, how smooth the doors close and how nice the LED lights are. Quoting my son: "It's not a refrigerator, it's a Cadillac".
    We'll see what he says when it breaks down...

As far as I can see the touch screens provide no benefit, unless you are the type of person who is going to sit in the kitchen and statre at pictures on your refrig.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    As far as I can see the touch screens provide no benefit, unless you are the type of person who is going to sit in the kitchen and statre at pictures on your refrig.

Jack
    Or integrate it with your iPhone so you can adjust the temperature remotely and monitor food spoilage from wherever you may be.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Some things are intended to fulfill a basic mission, and it needs to do it well.

A refrigerator is one of those things -- keep food at 37 and 0 degrees, day after day, and year and after year.

In my previous house, I had a 42" Sub-Zero from 1996 (and as far I know, it's still running) with no outside icemaker, bottom pull-out freezer and 1-door refrig section. It was "big iron" -- thermostat, cold air diverter and a tough cooling system, dial controls, no digital anything. I'm sure parts are still plentiful, and at $8,000 to replace, it would take an expensive repair to junk it.

Then I (my wife actually) buy a hidden control $1,100 SS dishwasher and the main board fails 2 months after the 2 year warranty, and cost of repair ? $700, WTF ??

I now have a 42" GE side-by-side: the freakin door ice maker takes space from the freezer, and if any digital or electronic component fails, it will be very expensive to repair or replace.

By the way, with french door refrigerator, you know you have open both doors if you want something from the lip side of the frig. Some people don't like it after buying one.

Its not just an LCD screen, its a complete computer with a touch screen. From what I've been able to determine is that they add well over a $1000 to the price of the refrigerator, and have the technical level of a cheap tablet or netbook. They need a wireless internet connection on all the time in order to make full use and then there is this, the fridge will last about 15 years, technology only has a shelf life of 3-5 years.

I bought a Samsung refrigerator without the tough screen when they first came on the market here and I put one of those stick-on white boards on the front for appointments and shopping list. That pretty much covers the usefulness of the tough screen and only cost me about $6.

I think I need a toilet with a webcam so I can check on my smartphone to see if I forgot to flush, and if I did forget, then with a tap of the screen I can flush it from anywhere in the world.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    Its not just an LCD screen, its a complete computer with a touch screen. From what I've been able to determine is that they add well over a $1000 to the price of the refrigerator, and have the technical level of a cheap tablet or netbook. They need a wireless internet connection on all the time in order to make full use and then there is this, the fridge will last about 15 years, technology only has a shelf life of 3-5 years.

I bought a Samsung refrigerator without the tough screen when they first came on the market here and I put one of those stick-on white boards on the front for appointments and shopping list. That pretty much covers the usefulness of the tough screen and only cost me about $6.
    So it's sounding like this technology hasn't really found it's place and hasn't really gotten to the point where it is useful. Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I'll continue shopping around to see what I can find that will fit the needs of my family.

Oh:

I think I need a toilet with a webcam so I can check on my smartphone to see if I forgot to flush, and if I did forget, then with a tap of the screen I can flush it from anywhere in the world.
    Cleanliness is Godliness. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    How about a web cam at the front and back doors so when you get 5 miles from the house and begin to wonder if you locked the doors, you can check. Add to that, web enabled door locks so you can lock them just in case, but don't allow an unlock unless you have very good insurance.