+ Reply to Thread

Default need some ideas please

we're starting a job next week and we have to install temporary plastic dust walls. i have a few zip walls but that will get me through less than half the distance i need. problem is that there's a drop ceiling above and the temp wall has to be run down a wide hallway, turn a corner then down another hallway. even with the zip walls, i don't think i can use them because i can't secure them to the drop ceiling.

anyone have any ideas? hallway is about 12' wide on one length and about 8'-10' wide on the other length. we need temp wall about 3 feet off the wall we will be working on.
    Last edited by MLB Construction; 02-15-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Default Re: need some ideas please

hey thanks a lot

Build a 2X2 or 2X4 stud wall 24" on center and staple plastic sheeting to it. It is sturdy enough if someone does punch a hole in the plastic you can easily patch it.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Use a grid clip like TC V clip or A GCS clip .
    One of these should hold each pole or a 1 X 4 to the ceiling.
    Space them as needed they only cost about .15 cents each

I've done it the way Jack says and I've seen others do it this way. I think that's the best method.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Build a 2X2 or 2X4 stud wall 24" on center and staple plastic sheeting to it. It is sturdy enough if someone does punch a hole in the plastic you can easily patch it.

Jack
    i thought of that first but there's no way to secure the stud wall. if it was a regular ceiling i could pressure fit the studs and i'd be all set. i have a drop ceiling above and i can't secure the base plate to the floor. also, i can't just hang the plastic from the drop ceiling grid because it would blow all over the place when the exteor door is opened on a windy day.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    i thought of that first but there's no way to secure the stud wall. if it was a regular ceiling i could pressure fit the studs and i'd be all set. i have a drop ceiling above and i can't secure the base plate to the floor. also, i can't just hang the plastic from the drop ceiling grid because it would blow all over the place when the exteor door is opened on a windy day.
    A couple of turns and a few well placed 2x4 cross laid feet or hot glue will hold it in place.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

How about removing a tile (on the clean side) every so often and stabilizing the 2x4 "top plate" with a clamp?
    Failing that, use a 1x4 cut 1/8" smaller than the hall width and screw it into the top plate to lock it in place.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Use the grid itself at the top by simply taping the plastic to an upside-down main runner grid piece, then clamping the two together every so often with small spring clamps- little additional weight and the grid will hold it with the tiles still in their holes (or not). At the bottom a 2X4 and stapling the plastic should do- add weight if necessary. Scrap grid runners and 2x4's will work fine here and you'll get as good a seal as most other methods plus setup/takedown is easy and fast.

Phil