+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacement vinyl windows in South

I am going to replace windows on a Florida home. I would appreciate input on brands that others have tried. Thank you.

Default Re: Replacement vinyl windows in South

I don't think we can endorse certain brands. But we can tell you that just as important is the installation (labor) involved in window replacement.

An excellent window with poor labor - not good.

An average window with excellent labor - better.

One more thing to look for here in the hot, humid south is to be sure to insulate and seal them properly, this will get the potential performance of any replacement working for you. Most replacement window installers where I live are in it for the fast buck and they don't take the time to do the job as well as they should. DJ1 is right on the money- look for he best installer, not just the best windows. Check out windows they installed five or more years ago via references for yourself and see how they are holding up. They should be working as good as new at that age; if they are not you don't want that window, and maybe not that installer either!

Phil

Phil

In South Texas we like solid vinyl windows with low E glass argon filled. Tilt in for easy cleaning.

New windows are nice, but sometimes I think they are sold on the basis of energy savings which cannot be justified in terms of payback. You will spend thousands of dollars replacing windows. How long will it take you to recoup that money in reduced energy savings?

Of course, there are other reasons for new windows: they will increase comfort somewhat, they will look better, they will be lower maintenance. These are the factors you have to weigh when trying to justify the cost. But strickly from an energy payback standpoint, they are rarely justified.

Ord has a good point.

My windows are crappy. Since I calculated a 20 year payback, I left the old ones alone.

In my Mom's 1940's brick house, the replacement windows have saved her about 20% on her heating bill, and since she heats with oil the break-even point was 7 years because we got the 13 windows cheap. (I have a second cousin who makes and installs these 35 miles from here ) The windows are now paying for themselves and the house is quieter and more comfortable too. And I don't have to paint her windows anymore. This is not your typical savings, my Mom's window weatherstripping was not good to start with and the replacement effort would have been equal though the parts far less had I rebuilt the old ones. In this case it was the best choice- your mileage may vary!

Phil

If your replacing windows in Florida you will need a permit and product approval from mfg. Windows and installation methods in Florida are held to different standards than other parts of the country. There are different wind zones in different parts of the state,

The only way a window from one of the Midwest states will fly in Florida is when a Hurricane or Tropical Storm takes it out.

What part of the state are you in? PGT windows are built in Florida and the name in the game by most

http://permitsource.net/blogs/?tag=h...hurricane-zone

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/0...ew-better.html
    Last edited by Gizmo; 02-25-2013 at 06:29 AM.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content