+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Plumbing supply store vs. big box store.. HD?

I second DJ's advice.

As much as I adore Grohe for the sleek craftsmanship, an $80 delta will outlast most bathrooms.

if your looking for quality avoid the big box store fixtures.

2 years ago i built was on a high end custom home build. the homeowner felt the need to buy all the wiring, plumbing and fixtures from a big box thinking she was saving money.. not only did she get lower quality items but it actually cost her about 7% more. our electrician could have given her higher grade wire, along with outlet boxes and fixtures at a lower price even with his markup for supplying it, same goes for the plumber.. the home owner also paid for the venmar and ductwork,, the hvac guys could have saved her roughly $4k had they supplied it... they all tried telling her that but she knew how it works because shes a rep for a wholesaler... but for a wholesaler that deals in a entirely differnt industry
    fire up the saw and make some dust

First of all don't assume that the big box store will give you a lower price. When I did our bathroom we installed Kholer shower and a separate tube. I got a price 20% lower from a plumbing supply house than from HD.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The Big Box store can get most any product even if its not a stock item. They can also beat there competitors pricing in most cases.

Lowes has a QSP "Quote Support Program" set up for contractors. In reality any walk in customer can take advantage of it as long as the sale is over $2500 before taxes. Depending on the product you can save 30%. The associate is supposed to to the QSP automatically to get the sale. Most of them are to lazy or just dont know how to do it.

You would be surprised how much you can save if you have the time to deal with the mentality of the associates. Most people think the Pro Services desk is for contractors. Thats not the case. Lowes advertises 5% off if you get the commercial or consumer credit card. You can bypass the credit card if you set up an Lar Escrow account. Its nothing more than a holding tank for money. So if your going to purchase something for $500. Deposit the $500 into the escrow account then go have the cashier ring the sale up taking the money out of the escrow to get the 5%. The excrow account doesnt show up on your credit doing it this way.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    The Big Box store can get most any product even if its not a stock item. They can also beat there competitors pricing in most cases.

Lowes has a QSP "Quote Support Program" set up for contractors. In reality any walk in customer can take advantage of it as long as the sale is over $2500 before taxes. Depending on the product you can save 30%. The associate is supposed to to the QSP automatically to get the sale. Most of them are to lazy or just dont know how to do it.

You would be surprised how much you can save if you have the time to deal with the mentality of the associates. Most people think the Pro Services desk is for contractors. Thats not the case. Lowes advertises 5% off if you get the commercial or consumer credit card. You can bypass the credit card if you set up an Lar Escrow account. Its nothing more than a holding tank for money. So if your going to purchase something for $500. Deposit the $500 into the escrow account then go have the cashier ring the sale up taking the money out of the escrow to get the 5%. The excrow account doesnt show up on your credit doing it this way.
    In most cases what I have found if the item your looking for is not a stock item and they must order it you will pay full boat for it, plus fright. When ever possible I try to do business with locally owned companies.

John

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer my question!
    I will be sure to shop around for the best price and also look for a lifetime warranty... where ever I end up buying the fixtures. I am worn out, with expensive sub-par products, that should last/work for way longer than they do these days. I guess I'm getting old. I remember a time when you bought something and it actually worked... you didn't need to replace it, look at it, think about it, for years!!

Post Re: Plumbing supply store vs. big box store.. HD?

I bought Moen Bath Faucets at a box store . I actually splurged a little in picking which faucet .
    That was 6-7 yrs ago . I recently had a problem when the handle broke off the shower valve .
    I called the Moen co. They sent what I needed at that time . I then needed to replace the
    manifold in the wall and they sent that w/o any hassles . I would buy MOEN again .
    All is good now. Be sure to register the product for warrantee . I did not, I just got lucky. Good luck .

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    In most cases what I have found if the item your looking for is not a stock item and they must order it you will pay full boat for it, plus fright. When ever possible I try to do business with locally owned companies.

John
    John ,
    Thats not the case at all. If they have to special order the products they can still be QSPed. If you have a price for a product from another company Lowes will usally beat it by 10%.

At times I will take advantage of the program s saving hundreds of dollars. I fax or email a competitors quote to them to see how much they can beat it by.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    John ,
    Thats not the case at all. If they have to special order the products they can still be QSPed. If you have a price for a product from another company Lowes will usally beat it by 10%.

At times I will take advantage of the program s saving hundreds of dollars. I fax or email a competitors quote to them to see how much they can beat it by.
    That's not the case in my area. My suppliers ALWAYS beat Lowes by 10 to 15%. Plus we also get an additional 2% for paying by the tenth of the month. And the item is in most cases superior.

John