+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Second Floor Laundry

I have created a new laundry room in a second story closet which is 10 ft x 6 ft. The home was built in 1996 and consists of 2x12 rafters and OSB subfloor. Joists run perpendicular to 10 ft wall. Washer and Dryer will be against 10 ft wall and approx 5 ft from bearing wall underneath. Washer will be in drain pan plumbed to outside for overflow. No sink in this room. I want to put a floor in that will be very stiff for vibration and noise control. The 3 options I am considering putting over the subfloor are 1) Solid Oak 3 Wide planks nailed, 2) Plywood nailed/glued and Paded Vinyl, and 3) thinset + hardie board + thinset + 12 in tile. What would be the best option for floor stiffening and vibration contol?

Default Re: Second Floor Laundry

Welcome to the forum.

To find if our floor can handle ceramic tile, head on over to the John Bridge Tile forum and click on the handy dandy deflecto-meter linked in the dark blue bar off to the left hand side. Fill in the deflecto and let us know what you find.

FWIW, half inch cbu is overkill for the floor and adds no more stiffness than 1/4" cbu under tile.

any type of flooring that is not solid like vinyl, linoleum, rubber padding or cork tiles would be best for sound. tile and hardwood would conduct the most noise to the room below. since you're going down to subfloor the best thing you could do would be to cut up the subfloor and install Roxul sound dampening insulation. if you put that in you'll be in great shape.

Pull up the subfloor and insulate the joist spaces if your that worried about sound.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I calculated the floor is L/610. I am more concerned about vibration than sound. Adding 3/4 ply to the floor is a common recommendation for reinforcement. If I cut open the subfloor I may also add additional cross bracing. I am leaning toward 3/4 ply and padded vinyl at this point.

Please update your project as it comes along and upon completion. I plan to reconfigure my laundry closet in the next couple of years and would like to see how well your vibration control works out.

Quote Originally Posted by spbin00 View Post
    I calculated the floor is L/610. I am more concerned about vibration than sound. Adding 3/4 ply to the floor is a common recommendation for reinforcement. If I cut open the subfloor I may also add additional cross bracing. I am leaning toward 3/4 ply and padded vinyl at this point.
    This is what I would do.