+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Solar panels, roofing shingles, eyebrow vents, and LEAKS!

I'm now year 3 into a newly remodeled section of our house. This winter's rainy season was particularly strong, with many heavy rainy days in a row coming down on the roof. All told, we faired well, but have two leaking problems I'm trying to chase.

1. I have a vaulted, wood-paneled ceiling in the living room. There is a 1', insulated space between the ceiling and the roof plywood, filled with fiberglass rolled insulation. Above that we have solar panels installed (shortly after the remodel was complete). I've had water dripping from various points between the ceiling panels ever since, during heavy rains. It only drips at sections underneath where a row of paneling is. I've had the team that installed the panels out 5 or 6 times to look for any holes or potential leaky spots, and they claim to have found and sealed a couple missed holes from when the panels were installed. I'm still getting drips in new places even after they've been out to inspect. I've also had the construction company that did the remodel come out and look at the roof; they confirmed the roof looks fine from their perspective. What do I do next? I'm really worried about mold, mildew and/or rot from all the moisture. Should I have a home inspector out to get a 3rd-party inspected view on the situation? Have we overlooked something?
    2. On the other side of the roof, I have 2 eyebrow vents right about another vaulted ceiling space (I think this was a mistake on the contractor's part, as I can't see a point to having eyebrow vents venting a 1' ceiling cavity.) During the heavy rain, we got streaks of a dark liquid running down our wall. When the construction company came out to look at that, they said it was water splashing in from the eyebrow vents that then gets into the roof. Most people don't notice it because it runs down in the attic, but since we have a vaulted ceiling, it's painfully apparent. The dark streaks appear to be something the water is leeching out of the knotty-pine ceiling. It's not sticky like sap, and wipes off the walls easily. Again, we're worried about mold, mildew and rot. Should this also be inspected? And how can we prevent this kind of leak from coming back?

Default Re: Solar panels, roofing shingles, eyebrow vents, and LEAKS!

Link,

It's time to stop being the "nice guy".

Get 2 free estimates from roofing companies to fix the leaks. No inspector needed.

Put the solar company and the construction company on notice. What kind of notice? the kind that says: "you've had plenty of chances to rectify the situation, and I still have leaks. I'm hiring a roofing company to fix the leaks and back charge you for the repair costs. If you refuse to pay, I'll have no choice but to go to court to recover the costs and report this incident to the contractors board".

In many states, you can get help directly from the contractors board, which is holding bonds from the contractors, specifically for this purpose.

You will need to prove your case and support your claims, so take pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Link,

It's time to stop being the "nice guy".

Get 2 free estimates from roofing companies to fix the leaks. No inspector needed.

Put the solar company and the construction company on notice. What kind of notice? the kind that says: "you've had plenty of chances to rectify the situation, and I still have leaks. I'm hiring a roofing company to fix the leaks and back charge you for the repair costs. If you refuse to pay, I'll have no choice but to go to court to recover the costs and report this incident to the contractors board".

In many states, you can get help directly from the contractors board, which is holding bonds from the contractors, specifically for this purpose.

You will need to prove your case and support your claims, so take pictures.
    Excellent advice. Hate to say it but there are may lawyers just live for cases like this.

John

1- Roofs are not supposed to leak, so if they do it is because somebody did something wrong or the roof got damaged.
    2- Though it will probably mean removing the ceiling and insulation, if you can't pinpoint the leaks from above they will have to be found from underneath.
    3- One critical question that will be asked: Did the roof leak before the solar panels went on? Also did that installation worsen those earlier leaks or cause any new ones?

As far as I know, no shingle roofing manufacturer allows for any direct penetration of the exposed portion of their shingles, but this is commonly done with roof-mounted accessories like antenna mounts and solar panels. The manufacturer of those accessories may have specific instructions and products required that were not done properly when the solar panels went on. What I am getting at here is that you're going to need to identify who is at fault- probably in court- and the roofer is probably indemnified if the solar installers did anything to his roof that wasn't supposed to be done. You are going to need an expert on your side in that courtroom so yes- it is time to get the certified and licensed Home Inspector over there before more water damage occurs. And you may be needing a lawyer as well. I wish I had better news for you!

Phil

Get a certified home inspector to view the property and look for the cause of the water damage before it causes any more harm. Roofing systems with even minor leaks can cause major damage in the long run. So act fast and get help and advice from professionals to locate the leaks and stop any more damage.
    Last edited by Crowealethea; 10-18-2013 at 05:12 AM.