+ Reply to Thread

Default Anchoring a Kitchen Island?

How do I anchor a large kitchen Island that will have a granite counter top that will over hang about one foot on one side. The Island is currently movable and has a Formica counter top.

Default Re: Anchoring a Kitchen Island?

A few more details please.

Without a toe kick, you'll need to build one which gets attached to the floor. Attach your cabinets to that. Be sure the granite is well supported with CC or better grade plywood. The limit of how far a granite can cantilever depends on the type of granite you select.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    A few more details please.

Without a toe kick, you'll need to build one which gets attached to the floor. Attach your cabinets to that. Be sure the granite is well supported with CC or better grade plywood. The limit of how far a granite can cantilever depends on the type of granite you select.
    HoustonRemodeler;

Thanks for your input, a couple of questions: are you saying I should put plywood between the top of the base cabinets, that make up the Island, and the granite?

I thought that maybe I could use pieces of angle iron, attached to the floor and the bottom of the base cabinets. If possible I would put these, several pieces, either on the inside-if possible, or on the outside. If on the outside, I would cover them with a toe kick.

thanks for your help.
    djackv

HoustonRemodeler is busy today, so let me answer for him:

1. Yes, you need plywood (5/8" or thicker, depending on the size of the granite) and the granite.

2. Your way of using metal brackets will work as well. Use non rusting screws/bolts and conceal them.

Thank you, HoustonRemodeler for your input/suggestions.
    djackv

We have a kitchen setup that might provide a little input for you.

We have an island with a granite countertop, but it has a fairly short overhang all the way around. The island cabinet is just held to the floor with liquid nails adhesive. However, it sounds like you may need more than that if you are going to have a 12 inch overhang on one end.

We have one other cabinet where the granite overhangs by about 8 inches (not quite as much as you want). They used fairly thick, about 3-4 inch wide metal brackets bolted to the top of the base cabinet. The flat brackets stick out to within about 2-3 inches of the countertop edge, and support the overhang of the granite countertop. After it was installed we also bolted on wooden decorative brackets under the overhang, since the large overhang did not look right without any visible support (you could not even see the metal supports).

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bcarlson78248 View Post
    We have a kitchen setup that might provide a little input for you.

We have an island with a granite countertop, but it has a fairly short overhang all the way around. The island cabinet is just held to the floor with liquid nails adhesive. However, it sounds like you may need more than that if you are going to have a 12 inch overhang on one end.

We have one other cabinet where the granite overhangs by about 8 inches (not quite as much as you want). They used fairly thick, about 3-4 inch wide metal brackets bolted to the top of the base cabinet. The flat brackets stick out to within about 2-3 inches of the countertop edge, and support the overhang of the granite countertop. After it was installed we also bolted on wooden decorative brackets under the overhang, since the large overhang did not look right without any visible support (you could not even see the metal supports).

Bruce
    Bruce, Thanks for your input.
    doug