+ Reply to Thread

Default Drop of water seen at joint of HVAC

Hi everyone

I live in the Mid-Atlantic where we're getting a good amount of rain today and the temps are inching up. I was heading out the door for work, putting my boots on in my laundry room when I saw a small drop of water coming from what I assumed is a joint of my gas furnace HVAC. It seemed like maybe the silicone sealant had worn away at the point but I wasn't sure if there should be any moisture in the HVAC to begin with? For trouble shooting purposes it might be good to know that I like to keep my house pretty cool to sleep in and for frugal reasons, so the thermostat is set at about 60 all day and night, temps around here have been in the 20's or 30's at night, 30's to 40's during the day. Does this just sound like I need to reseal the joints, an issue of keeping my furnace too cool and then heating up, or maybe I need to investigate a leak elsewhere? Thanks so much for the input!

Default Re: Drop of water seen at joint of HVAC

detekk:

Are you saying the water is coming from the gas line attached to the "furnace"??
    Do you have a furnace (forced hot air) or a boiler (forced hot water)??
    Do you have any photos you can post at this site or at a host site you know of??
    Do you think the leak is coming from a water pipe or a gas pipe??

Yes, it's possible the drop can be the result of condensation.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 02-11-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Thanks, Dobbs

I'm at work right now so I can't take a picture, but I will when I get home, I'll try to explain better in the mean time.

The drop of water was seen at the seam of the actual unit, nothing to do with pipes.. the plenum box I think it's called? I'm not familiar with HVAC terms. But it seemed to be right where the unit joins together by way of silicone caulk.

Thanks again for taking the time to write back!

The blessing/curse of having an inconsistent problem- I came home and there was no sign of water. Happy for that, but not sure where that one drop initially came from.
    They say I don't have enough posts to be allowed to link to a picture, so I'll just have to reiterate that it's the furnace housing that I saw the water drop dripping down, not a pipe.

By the way it's a Goodrich natural gas forced-air furnace.

I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if there is any water in the morning.

Thanks again for your feedback, much appreciated!

Quick update! I just felt at the corner of where there is some silicone caulk missing and I indeed feel moisture there. What does this indicate? How should I take care of it? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by detekk View Post
    Quick update! I just felt at the corner of where there is some silicone caulk missing and I indeed feel moisture there. What does this indicate? How should I take care of it? Thanks again!
    Hard to say what it actually means, but why don't you try to caulk the area with the missing caulk with fresh bid of caulk and see what happens. Just make sure it's dry at the moment you apply the new caulk.