Re: installing cabinets
the other thing with stud finders is that some of them will detect a pipe and say its a stud.. if you drive a screw there then you have a leak.. not good.
the method i use for locating studs is to simply determing which side of an electrical outlet the stud is on then set the hook of my tape 3/4" past the outlet then extend my tape from there and mark 16"'s from there. work 98% of the time .. the other 2% is for when a stud may have been left out on the end of a wall when the layout is just slighlty more than 16" .. no point having a double stud in a corner so you get 16".oc
fire up the saw and make some dust