+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Unhappy Big Support Beams Damaged!

Under my 1836 home, I have found some damaged wood on some large beams supporting the house. They are 11x11 square, and 12 feet long. There is no sign of termites, but I am getting a inspection just to be sure.The beams have several areas where the wood is rotted. I am not sure if I need to place pole jacks underneath the house or support it with heavy posts. I will not be able to afford calling anyone to do this work. Is there any way I can support these beams without tearing them out?

Default Re: Big Support Beams Damaged!

This situations needs attention. Have a few general contractors/framers look at the beam, to determine if its integrity has been compromised by the rotted parts. Then you can decide what to do next. Ask them about temporary supports too. I don't think its a job for the typical DIYer: it's difficult, requires expertise, knowledge and experience.

Exactly where are these beams located? Are they around the perimeter of the house or do they run under the house, down the center with joists or other beams resting or let into them? Exactly how much damage and does the damage reduce the cross section of the beam vertically or horizontally?

That wooden beam is going to weigh a couple of hundnnert pounds.

Getting the old one out and the new one in takes a crew of large sized men.

Exclamation Re: Big Support Beams Damaged!

Thank you for your posts, and these beams are under the central area of the house, in the basement area, and another one in the crawlspace under the kitchen. You are right, they would weigh several hundred lbs. !!! I am very worried about this, and the only thing I knew to do was enlist a friend to help me place temporary supports beneath the joists. I know this will not suffice long term. These beams run horizontal beneath the kitchen and central room. The other 2 are supporting the Center of the 2 story home. Anything else I can do myself at this point? or should I get a structural engineer or general contractor's advice?

Hi Keith,
    I meant to add: these beams are 11x11,hand hewn, and are probably the original. So that makes them 177 years old. We have lived here for 30 years, and the damage is progressing. I can get a screwdriver a good 6 to 7 inches into the wood before hitting solid wood. Our basement has always held water, but that is getting addressed. Do you think the moisture is making the rot worse? and would it help for me to add treated posts for support? Thank you for your replies.