+ Reply to Thread

Default temporary exterior sealant options

I have a colonial revival house built in 1927, wood siding that needs replacing soon. I know once we start replacing it we will need to do all of it because it has been neglected for a few decades. We just bought it a couple years ago and have had higher priority repairs that needed to be completed first. We cannot afford to replace all the wood siding until the fall but we are starting to have water get into the walls at some of the construction intersections, such as where a late addition balcony meets the exterior wall, around exterior doors and windows - in other words, where there are should've been flashing installed 20 years ago or where old sealants have decayed. The roof is good, no leaks there.
    I am looking for any advice on a temporary sealant that I can use to cover areas 3-12 inches wide (traditional caulking will not work, tried it) that will hold out the rain until we are able to start replacing the siding and do the needed repairs the right way in the fall. We have a history of heavy thunderstorms and a lot of rain is short periods of time in our area during spring and fall, plus extreme heat during the summer - but I am only looking for a temporary fix for 7-9 months. Also, it needs to be something I can do myself.
    Anyone have any advice or experience with a product that might work for us?
    Thanks.

Default Re: temporary exterior sealant options

There are a lot of different kinds of "wood siding". Can you be more specific, it will help decide what might work the best for you.

From what you are describing, you need to re-do your exterior now, not later. I think that any other idea (like caulking), won't help you right now.

No money? if you wait, you'll have additional damages to deal with that will cost you more. Borrow the money if you have to, to mitigate your damages.

If any type of caulk will help, it would be one of the urethanes such as Vulkem or Sonneborn NP-1. Urethanes have superior hold, remain elastic and their heavy body allows you to close rather large cracks which an acrylic caulk could never do. Urethanes are not water soluble and will not wash off it it suddenly rains. Indeed, they need moisture to cure.

However, I would agree with the others that this is a stop gap and you need to fix the real problem soon.

The siding is old cedar 10" planks that have been painted white.
    We cannot replace it until this fall - no possibility of doing it earlier. But we do intend to replace it as quickly as possible.

For temporary water proofing your exterior you could use a product like STO **** Coat with the joint mesh for large openings.
    You can apply with roller or brush.