+ Reply to Thread

Default Hills popping up in our composite floor deck on hot days

Almost 10 years ago, we had a roofed/screened porch and an open (non-roofed) deck built onto the back of our house. The porch and deck flooring is a composite plank.

Two years ago, during the hottest days of the summer, the planks in a couple places on the deck started pushing upward creating very definite "hills" (2'x 2' in dimension).

What is causing this and can this be fixed short of replacing the composite completely?

Default Re: Hills popping up in our composite floor deck on hot days

Well, home troubles seem to come in bunches, don't they?

In this case you are inevitably looking at replacement.

Yes, we have a lot of work ahead of us given my bath, kitchen, and deck questions!

I figured we'd have to replace the decking, but I am wondering why this is happening when we went along fine for the first 8 years. Is the composite "hilling" because it was originally laid incorrectly? Or, are there "fasteners" underneath that have broken over time?

We just want to make sure we're not repeating this job in another few years, so any info as to the cause would be appreciated.

Do you know what brand the product is.Most all of the composite MFG companies were sued in a class action suit due to product breaking down.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

It appears our composite planks are by Epoche Decking. The contractor's quote states it is by Tamko, but there's nothing about Epoch on the Tamko website or any relevant search results on google pairing "Epoch Decking & Tamko".

The porch/deck construction was in 2001, if that helps.
    Last edited by handsindirt; 02-08-2013 at 10:42 PM.

At this point you have to evaluate your options. If you want to try and smooth out these hills, you'll see the deck boards crumbling. It's the nature of the beast.

When you replace your top deck, go with wood. With proper care, cleaning and staining on time, I'm sure you'll get more than 10 years out of a wood top deck. I have 2 homes with redwood decks, I installed one of them in 1993 - and it's in great condition today, 20 years later!

Thanks, dj. I'm REALLY hoping to find another composite plank of much higher quality/longevity to replace our failing decking. Having another wood surface to upkeep just isn't on my list of wants right now, but I can see the wisdom in your advice. Much appreciated!