+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Remove cabinetry before tiling?

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    wood flooring goes under kitchen cabinets, wall to wall. tile does NOT go under cabinets, it get's laid around them. odds are very high that a tile floor will be replaced prior to the cabinets being updated.
    But you're not suggesting he only run the tile (and new substrate) up to the fridge, range, and DW.?
    But if he adds new substrate and tile under the appliances, the extra 1 1/4" of height is going to prevent at least two of them from being right. If the clearances were tight to begin with, the fridge may not slide in either.
    It may be logical to not tile under cabs, but the cabinets must then sit up on shims equivalent to the finish floor height.
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Default Re: wood flooring

I was just going to post a question on this topic and would like some more information if you have any to pass on. I have laminate flooring that was not installed very well (the boards shift sometimes leaving small gaps after foot traffic). I live in a small old duplex, so the kitchen and living room are one room separated by a kitchen countertop. I dismantled the unattrative coal fireplace in the living room and fixed the wall. I tried to find matching laminate to fill the space where the fireplace was but cannot find it anywhere. The kitchen cabinets however were installed on top of the flooring - so if I got new laminate or hardwood would I HAVE TO get the cabinetry removed, and then reinstalled with new flooring? I'm hoping there's a way around it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    But you're not suggesting he only run the tile (and new substrate) up to the fridge, range, and DW.?
    But if he adds new substrate and tile under the appliances, the extra 1 1/4" of height is going to prevent at least two of them from being right. If the clearances were tight to begin with, the fridge may not slide in either.
    It may be logical to not tile under cabs, but the cabinets must then sit up on shims equivalent to the finish floor height.
    if it's tile floor i'll put hardibacker under the cabinets and just tile up to them which leaves plenty of room for DW, fridge, etc. DW, fridge, stove, etc should all have tile under them.

Default Re: wood flooring

Quote Originally Posted by lissaaj View Post
    I was just going to post a question on this topic and would like some more information if you have any to pass on. I have laminate flooring that was not installed very well (the boards shift sometimes leaving small gaps after foot traffic). I live in a small old duplex, so the kitchen and living room are one room separated by a kitchen countertop. I dismantled the unattrative coal fireplace in the living room and fixed the wall. I tried to find matching laminate to fill the space where the fireplace was but cannot find it anywhere. The kitchen cabinets however were installed on top of the flooring - so if I got new laminate or hardwood would I HAVE TO get the cabinetry removed, and then reinstalled with new flooring? I'm hoping there's a way around it!

there is a way around it. i'll post my solution later when i have some time to type it out. in the mean time i recommend reposting this as a new thread because most members won't see this hidden under this topic.

i use free standing Cabinet so i don't have any problem.And you can hire any person for removing and installing the cabinets.