+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Remove cabinetry before tiling?

Please take pity on homeowners that are looking to know what kind of mess we'll be getting ourselves into:

Our kitchen currently has sheet vinyl flooring that we'd like to upgrade to ceramic tile. How do we complete this job without the tile and cement board(?) underlayment "eating up" the toe-kick area of our kitchen cabinets? Do we have to remove all the lower cabinets in order to tile our kitchen properly?

Default Re: Remove cabinetry before tiling?

Is your floor on joists or slab?

Joists, over a full height basement (which is unfinished).

Why don't you log on to john bridge tile forum, where you can find a formula to figure out if your joists can take the weight of a new tile floor.

I will do that, thanks. Because the area below is unfinished, we'll be able to reinforce the joists if necessary.

Back to the original question: is it standard operating proceedure to remove the existing lower cabinetry in order to tile the floor? We'd like to know what we're letting ourselves in for...

Back to your original question: after examining your special situation, if you need a 3/4" sub floor + the thickness of your tile and thin set, you have to decide if you have room, without raising the cabinets. Ask yourself: will the new tile cover the dishwasher? will the new floor be so high that the counter top would feel so low all of a sudden?

Personally, I like the tiles to go under the cabinets. Other folks don't mind when the tiles don't.

Thank you, dj. I'm with you -- I don't want the cabinets to feel too low and would prefer the tile go under the cabinets (and not block in the dishwasher!). Much appreciate your help!

Quote Originally Posted by handsindirt View Post
    Joists, over a full height basement (which is unfinished).
    If these cabinets are obstacle in fixing up the tile then remove it.You said earlier that you like the tiles to go under the cabinets then it is better you remove it.
    Last edited by ericburns4; 03-07-2013 at 07:24 AM.

In 2009, we built a large addition which included a large kitchen and large laundry/dog room. I installed 3/4" x 3" Brazilian Cherry flooring in the main portion of the addition, with tile in the laundry room. Although at first I thought it was wasteful to put the flooring under the cabinets and 20" tile under everything in the laundry/dog room (there are 2 washers and dryers and a dish washer for fido...), it really paid off. If I were re-modeling the older kitchen, I'd probably remove the cabinets and make sure the floor was wall to wall.

wood flooring goes under kitchen cabinets, wall to wall. tile does NOT go under cabinets, it get's laid around them. odds are very high that a tile floor will be repalced prior to the cabinets being updated.