+ Reply to Thread

Default Cold gets in and stays in the house

I live in an older duplex. Built in the 70's. So it's not that old I guess, but not new. I've always been suspect about the insulation of the place. It stays very cold inside even though it's nice out. It's warmer outside than it is inside. It's a little confusing to me. If the cold can get in so easily, why does it not go out? Cold gets in and it stays in. The house gets sun and everything. I just thought it would warm up a little better than it does.

Is there a way I can find out how the place is insulated without tearing the walls down? Or am I thinking about this in the completely wrong way?

Default Re: Cold gets in and stays in the house

You can drill small holes in invisible areas, and when you pull the drill bit out you can tell if there is insulation or not.

My feeling is that you have insulation, just maybe not enough. Call insulation contractors to assess your situation and to decide what to do next. Early 70s is when insulation started to become mandatory in the construction industry.

Let me just add this:

Cold air can come in from a lot of places. Places like doors, windows, electrical outlets, roof - so don't focus on your walls only.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Let me just add this:

Cold air can come in from a lot of places. Places like doors, windows, electrical outlets, roof - so don't focus on your walls only.
    Okay, that has been in the back of my mind as well. We've got thermal curtains and that seemed to help slightly. The roof seems like a very big job. Don't know if that is possible as a renter. But I'll see if I can find any spots clearly feel different. As for the electrical outlets, that's a good idea too.

If you are a renter, my advice is to contact your landlord before you do anything. You cannot do most of the things mentioned without LL's written approval.

I suspect that you might have a lot of thermal mass in your walls. If the house is brick, stone or concrete block, it will tend to minimize temperature variations. In the winter, when the walls get cold, they will stay cold for long periods of time so that a day or two of nice weather will not warm them up.

They will also tend to hold the nighttime cold longer into the day. In the summer, it will be just the opposite. the walls will get hot and not cool down on any cooler days, that is if Hotlanta has any cooler days in the summer.

My house has the same issues, good advice above.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    I suspect that you might have a lot of thermal mass in your walls. If the house is brick, stone or concrete block, it will tend to minimize temperature variations. In the winter, when the walls get cold, they will stay cold for long periods of time so that a day or two of nice weather will not warm them up.

They will also tend to hold the nighttime cold longer into the day. In the summer, it will be just the opposite. the walls will get hot and not cool down on any cooler days, that is if Hotlanta has any cooler days in the summer.
    Thanks Keith. It is brick and it is doing exactly what you say it would be doing. The nighttime cold just lingers. I guess the same will happen once that heat hits. That explanation makes me feel a little better. I guess I shouldn't be feeling like there is a giant hole somewhere letting all sorts of cold in.