+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 117 Siding - stick with it or replace it all

whatever you decide to do, make sure the walls are braced against racking loads when you get done. There is nothing wrong with wood siding, just cover it with enough paint, it will last for a long time that way.

I am not a fan of Hardie siding for a number of reasons, but if it is installed properly it is hard to beat- maybe impossible to beat. As with anything the key is proper installation and proper maintenance thereafter, so if you find a Hardie profile you can live with then go with it.

As to historical accuracy, once it is gone it is very hard to put back so you have to decide whether your approach is the correct one. For rare structures, historically notable structures, or homes where almost all the others around it have that accuracy, I'd say restore it properly if you can or sell it to someone who will if you can't. But if there is no singular reason to be accurate, then staying reasonably close to the style is the better way so that you can take advantage of all the improvements that have occurred since the home was built. If those same men who built it were alive today, they would use the best materials and practices which today has to offer in building it just as they did when it was built originally- that is a thought many people overlook when it comes to renovations like this.

Phil

Maybe the poster should get his wife a wood stove for the kitchen and a real "iron" to iron the clothes for the sake of historical accuracy! How about a clotheslne and an outhouse while we are at it!

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Maybe the poster should get his wife a wood stove for the kitchen and a real "iron" to iron the clothes for the sake of historical accuracy! How about a clotheslne and an outhouse while we are at it!

It turns out I do not have 117 all over the house, so I will just replace the 117 where needed in the short term and then scrap it when I reside the whole house. Dilemma temporarily averted.