+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 117 Siding - stick with it or replace it all

One of my next projects will involve windows and some siding work. It turns out some of my 117 siding is rotten and my work will also involve adding siding where there is none now.
    My whole house likely has 117 siding buried under asbestos shingle and I will eventually want to remove that.
    Back to my point, since I have to remove and add some siding, do I want to stick with the 117 that I can only get in new growth pine, or do I just want to go ahead and start using composite everywhere I have work done with the intent of removing all siding eventually.
    My concerns are ease of maintenance in the future as well as replacement siding not matching my original which was made from old growth wood.

Of note, house is original 117 siding over 2x4 walls, no wrap or sheathing. Siding is buried under asbestos shingle, so condition is unknown.
    Any thoughts are welcome.

Default Re: 117 Siding - stick with it or replace it all

Find a mill that will mold the siding in the wood of your choice, if the new pine is unsatisfactory to you (which I understand).
    It is actually necessary for novelty/shiplap sidings to be nailed directly to studding or in the case of sheathing, spacers must be used to provide an airspace so that moisture s not trapped between two flat layers of wood. Clapboard and weatherboard each have a built-in airspace behind them, but novelty siding pattern like the 117 and German (drop) siding sit flat.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

My neighborhood has the same problems.

New plank Hardie will;

1- last a lifetime
    2- never be eaten by termites or ants
    3- paints like a dream
    4- is also hail proof
    5- re-paints like a dream, far less work than wood.
    6- is fireproof and lowers insurance premiums
    7- can be perfectly matched in 10 years

No brainer, go with HR's idea.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    New plank Hardie will;

1- last a lifetime
    2- never be eaten by termites or ants
    3- paints like a dream
    4- is also hail proof
    5- re-paints like a dream, far less work than wood.
    6- is fireproof and lowers insurance premiums
    7- can be perfectly matched in 10 years
    8- is available in a very limited number of profiles, none of them deep, and only suggestive of historical patterns. Profiles other than simple lap are recent editions to their product lineup.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Fence is correct, it doesn't match the profile exactly. This very point was discussed for months with my neighbors. The conclusion; while driving by at 20mph the siding looks the same, especially to the untrained eye.

The ultimate question YOU have to ask YOURSELF is; Do I want to live in a historically accurate home (and all those drawbacks) or do I want to live in a home that looks as historic as possible?

Its like restoring an antique car that doesn't have seat belts, air bags, air conditioning, car alarm, or tinted windows. Personally I like ABS brakes.

One thing I did not mention is the wife is not always in love with the hardie profiles. It looks like I need to drag her to the builder supply. I am not in love with the fact that I looked up at some rotting 117 and am more than happy to compromise historical accuracy for stability.

Function,

The last thing we want to do is start something between you two. But why don't you tell her the pros and cons of both solutions, so she can make a decision based on facts, not emotions.

Authentic historic vs. no so.
    High maintenance vs. almost maintenance free.
    Not so FUNCTIONAL vs. functional.
    You get the idea.

The make hardie with a profile as small as a 4" overlap, which is what I used.

I suspect that the reason fiber cement siding is not available in true traditional profiles (such as 117) is that the deep portions of the profile may be significantly weaker than wood. Since fiber cement is very stable, it also lacks resiliency. As the structure of the building moves/expands/contracts, it induces stress in the siding which concentrates in the sharp corners of a deep profile. Since fiber cement is not resilient, it may crack. Wood won't crack due to building movement because it is somewhat resilient.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.