+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Replacing end walls in mobile home.

I am about to replace the end walls of our mobile home they are not bearing any load but wanted to know if anyone could give some advice. Currently the wall is covered with all windows and very little structure or support I would like to remove it and put a new 2x6 framed wall with vapour barrier and insulation with 1/2" plywood sheathing. Home is sitting on a laid brick foundation over a cement slab. Roof was replaced at one time with a peaked roof over the home and small addition. I would like to replace the non load bearing wall and windows with a 2x6 frame that goes from the cement block to where the new roof attaches to the home.

My only concerns are should I worry about the home trying to lean one way or another when removing the windows and wall and the roof extends past the homes actual frame where there is not support at all. Should I do something special there. I also submitted this to AskTOH to see if they contact me about it.

I have pictures but can't post them because of the required ten posts to use that feature.

Default Re: Replacing end walls in mobile home.

You will have to host the images somewhere else on-line and link them here. Image uploading has been disabled due to spammers.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You will need temporary support while you remove the old wall and build the new wall in its place. The type of support depends on what is this wall holding.

Without the proper temporary support you will be asking for trouble.

I have pictures hosted on my web page but could not link to them on here because of my post count not being 10 or more.

If you can go to diysurvivalguide.com/gallery

There are a few pictures. After the new roof was installed they went out past this wall and nothing is above the wall.

There is plenty of weight on this wall, you'll need support.

Build a temporary wall from floor to ceiling, the entire length of the wall to be removed. On the top of this support (setting under the ceiling), there should be a 4x6 beam at the minimum. Temp wall studs at 16" o.c. - don't try to economize.

I hope you are planning to remove the old wall and install a new wall and wrap it - all on the same day.

You can't notice from any of my photos but the small wall section on top is in further than the windows and there is actually no support at all above the windows and the wall on the bottom is out further than the windows with no support below the windows. Even the top part of the wall just goes up to the ceiling tile with about 2" open space on top 8" in center top. I can add support just in case though.

My plan is remove the wall and go from the cement block foundation with treated on bottom. Then go all the way up to the new roof with a 2x6 framed wall instead of the 2x4 and 2x2 it's made of. Add vapour barrier and add smart side 4x8 primed panels 19/32 thick. Open it up and have it all closed up in one day.

Did some more digging around inside the wall and above the windows the framing that is in further in is just open space. The only thing above the windows is particle board laid flat that goes from the framing to the top of the windows. The framing above the window is held securely on both sides. My guess is they did this to keep the weight off the windows. And since my new wall that is going in is going outside of that part I can put some aframe like supports like tom silva did in an episode of Ask TOH

The wall you are removing is a sheer wall as it provides lateral stability to the overall structure. You'll need to provide temporary lateral support as well as weight bearing support. When installing the lateral support, that is the opportune time to true the walls back to perfect plumb-ness.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    The wall you are removing is a sheer wall as it provides lateral stability to the overall structure. You'll need to provide temporary lateral support as well as weight bearing support. When installing the lateral support, that is the opportune time to true the walls back to perfect plumb-ness.
    Would wedging in a couple aframe supports inside support it enough to provide lateral suppor as well as weight bearing support. That is why I had the idea of an aframe support would keep it from moving/shifting to one side and keep it standing.

I have some scrap that I could make a couple aframe supports from. Right now I am just throwing around ideas. Not ready to do it since it's too cold to do it right now.