+ Reply to Thread

Default Tying walls together

Hello TOH community.

Need your help with a project I am working on.
    I am currently adding a bathroom in my house. I am now beginning to frame up the walls and need some guidance. My house was built in the 1950s so the walls are constructed of Plaster and Lath. The new walls that I am placing are going to be regular 16" on center with sheet rock hung on them. I need advice as to how to tie in my new wall to a plaster and lath wall where they meet together at a perpendicular angel. The Plaster and Lath wall is an exterior wall. Iím hopping that I donít need to rip any of the Plaster and lath down. The end stud that will be resting on the P&L wall will obviously be tied into the top and bottom plate of the new wall. The new wall is 8 feet long by 8 tall. Iím wondering if I can just secure the new wall to the ceiling jousts and floor, then just sheet rock the walls and mud and tape the new perpendicular corner I created against the Plaster and Lath wall.
    Thanks for the help.

Andrew,

Default Re: Tying walls together

Yes, that is an acceptable installation.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yes, you can anchor the top and bottom plate only. I would suggest putting a stud up against the lathe and plaster wall with glue. If you have wood lathe you can predrill holes in that last stud and screw the stud to the wood lathe for better connection to the plaster wall. I would do something to connect it. If you don't the new end stud could deflect (bend) and cause your inside corner to crack (I could almost guarantee it).

Enjoy your new bath!
    Joel @ The Renovation Place

Check out my website at Hidden Content

Joel brought up an excellent point: to avoid bending, tie the new wall to the existing wall as he mentioned. Glue and some toggle bolts along the tie stud will work.

my typical method involves constructin adhesive and pairs of 3" wood screws driven in at opposite angles so to create a wedge effec that reduces the chance of the stud pulling away
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    my typical method involves constructin adhesive and pairs of 3" wood screws driven in at opposite angles so to create a wedge effec that reduces the chance of the stud pulling away
    Ditto on that
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thatís GREAT news! Thanks for the quick responses. I was dreading having to rip into the old plaster and lath. Ill definitely use some construction adhesive along with 3 in screws. Iíll drill pilot holes first due to the risk of cracking the plaster. Iíve heard horror stories about loosening the plaster away from the lath creating a separation. Last thing I need is a crack to appear months after Iím all done.

Thanks again TOH members.

AJSMITH

the advantage of the screws is that hand nailing will cause the plaster to break apart from the impact from driving the nail.. even a framing gun will cause it
    fire up the saw and make some dust