+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Old Murphy in-a-door bed

I have been given an antique Murphy in-a-Dor bed. I have the pivoting door, all of the hardware, and the bed. Does anyone have technical information about these old fold down beds?

Thanks

Default Re: Old Murphy in-a-door bed

Lucky for you, everything you want to know is on the internet - including pictures!

I have searched high and low on the Internet and have come up empty handed. Can you help?

Lucky for you, everything you want to know is on the internet - including pictures!>>

There is lots of information available for the newer Murphy beds but no technical information for the old beds. I need to know how it attaches to the pivoting door and if newer bed frames can be modified to fit.

If you have a source, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Try rockler.com, you may find what you're looking for. No guarantees.

Thanks. I've already tried Rockler and they can't help. I am really stuck.

Thanks

There must be thousands of these old beds still in use. San Francisco and New York are loaded with them. I am surprised there seems to be no information whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea1963 View Post
    There must be thousands of these old beds still in use. San Francisco and New York are loaded with them. I am surprised there seems to be no information whatsoever.
    Some folks want free answers faster than the speed of sound. Stat.

Just relax and wait for the answer you expect. It takes time. Maybe this forum is not visited by Murphy bed owners ever so frequently...

Recently began looking for info on Murphy In-A-Dor Beds. Because I just joined TOH discussions and have fewer than 10 posts, this being my first, I'm not allowed to post the link - how unhelpful and restrictive is that!

At any rate, there is a site that has two old brochures from the Murphy Door Bed Company that you can download. Although they have no specifications on the hardware, they do show all the different models and contain some good views of the underside of the bed frames, as well as views of various beds partially unfolded and side views of folded beds, which should help you get an idea of the feasibility of adapting a modern bed frame to your existing hardware. Larger brochure has ample info on required closet dimensions for different models.

If you Google "building technology heritage library" it should bring you to the site, then search "Murphy In-A-Dor Bed".

Will share anything else I find. If you find detailed specs, please post a link (or equivalent) here, as I, too, would love to find those specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Daysleeper View Post
    Recently began looking for info on Murphy In-A-Dor Beds. Because I just joined TOH discussions and have fewer than 10 posts, this being my first, I'm not allowed to post the link - how unhelpful and restrictive is that!

At any rate, there is a site that has two old brochures from the Murphy Door Bed Company that you can download. Although they have no specifications on the hardware, they do show all the different models and contain some good views of the underside of the bed frames, as well as views of various beds partially unfolded and side views of folded beds, which should help you get an idea of the feasibility of adapting a modern bed frame to your existing hardware. Larger brochure has ample info on required closet dimensions for different models.

If you Google "building technology heritage library" it should bring you to the site, then search "Murphy In-A-Dor Bed".

Will share anything else I find. If you find detailed specs, please post a link (or equivalent) here, as I, too, would love to find those specs.
    Thank you for that information. I was able to easily find the resource you mentioned in your post. I have contacted a number of Murphy bed manufacturers and have been told that the newer bed frames are not "engineered" to be installed on the pivoting door. Why does that make a difference? If it is securily fastened to the door, I would think it would be okay. I did find a man in SF that installs and repairs these old beds on a regular basis. If you have a specific question, let me know and I will ask him.