+ Reply to Thread

Default venting exhaust fan through basement wall

We're adding a new bathroom in the basement of our 1920's house. The exhaust van duct needs to be vented to the exterior. The basement walls are very solid, poured concrete. The electrician wants to cut a hole in the wood 2x10 rim joist above the concrete wall. Because this 2x10 rim runs perpendicular to the joists, I don't think it would be a problem structurally, but cutting a 3" diam. hole in the side of the house makes me nervious. Any thoughts?

Default Re: venting exhaust fan through basement wall

Drilling a hole in the side of the house makes most people nervous. With some good silicone or urethane sealant you will be fine.

This is reasonable, should be no problem structurally. I might need new glasses, 'cuz I can't see it from here.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

As mentioned before doing it correctly is no problem. In fact, if you walk around your house you'll notice a few vents, pipes, wires, etc going in n out.

The key is to seal around the vent. Use elastic soft putty, sold in a lb package at HD.