+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Decking Material

I'm replacing my deck and adding additional space for a fairly large deck. I'm trying to determine what material would work best. I live in Georgia, so summers can get really hot and humid. Half of the deck will be in full sun and the other half fairly shaded. While composite decking seems to be fairly maintenance free I worry about the heat it would absorb on the sunny side of the deck(I'm usually barefooted most of the time in the summer). PT lumber would be the most economical, as I am doubling the size of the deck, versus using cedar or redwood ($$$) but I just did extensive remodeling and I don't want it to look like I did the deck on the cheap. Suggestions?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Decking Material

as with any material you choose, if you pick a light color it will stay alot cooler in direct sunlight than a dark color. that goes for wood and composite.

A great decking material that we've started using more and more in the last couple years is Azek. It holds up really well to the sun, heat and humidity. The only problem is that the stuff isn't cheap! The great thing about it is that it will last forever and never needs painting. If you choose a lighter color then you shouldn't have problems with burned feet.

Azek will be cheaper than redwood and could be close to the same price as cedar depending on where you live.

Hope this helps.
    Joel @ The Renovation Place

Check out my website at Hidden Content

composite decking gets extremely hot in the summer even more so in direct sunlight.. bare feet is pretty much a no go.
    fire up the saw and make some dust

If you choose PT, walking on a PT deck barefoot is not a good idea.
    Not because of the heat factor. However, PT might be your choice because of your budget concerns.

Composite is a poor choice - it can't take the sun. Azek is a PVC type and looks too artificial. There is AKEZ wood that you can research. Also Ironwood.

Why not wait a little and when you have some money saved, get redwood? I love working with redwood. It does need regular maintenance though (cleaning and staining).

Would a painted deck be out of place in your house. You could use PT 2x's, PT 5/4 decking or PT tongue and groove or even untreated tongue and groove. A coat of paint makes the deck look finished. You can paint to match the house.

You could also put a short wall around the deck like they used to do to porches in the old days, add a scupper every 15 feet or so to let water out. If that fits with the style of your house though. Just a thought.

Anyone ever use the Azek pavers for flat roof top application over membrane. I ran up on them yesterday.

http://vastpavers.com/professionals/...tion_guide.php
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Live north of Boston but grew up in Marietta, GA and installed composite on my back deck 2 years ago. Even the summers in Boston, high of around 85 and only for a couple months, I can't walk on my back deck bare foot, way too hot.

This past summer I installed Cambara (type of Mahongony) on my front porch. Even though the color is a dark reddish/brown, it's way cooler than the composite and was cheaper than the composite.

Smile Re: Decking Material

[QUOTE=jillinga10;273955]I'm replacing my deck and adding additional space for a fairly large deck. I'm trying to determine what material would work best. I live in Georgia, so summers can get really hot and humid. Half of the deck will be in full sun and the other half fairly shaded. While composite decking seems to be fairly maintenance free I worry about the heat it would absorb on the sunny side of the deck(I'm usually barefooted most of the time in the summer). PT lumber would be the most economical, as I am doubling the size of the deck, versus using cedar or redwood ($$$) but I just did extensive remodeling and I don't want it to look like I did the deck on the cheap. Suggestions?
    Thanks![/QUOTE

You will love the composite, over any other material. You can get a light color, or a dark color, depending on your choice. The light would reflect much of the hot summer heat, while the dark will absorb more, making it feel very warm. I have used the composite on one large deck, and love it. I started out using the concealed fasteners, until I could not get them. After that, I used the self drilling deck screws, and really like them, too. If you do not want any screws showing, go the hidden fasteners. However, I found out that some of hidden fasteners are not that easy to use, so I went with the screws. With the composite, you will see a natural shading as the year goes on, from the sun's rays. This is normal, and expected. The composite will need no maintenance, like treated, or cedar. Both Cedar and Redwood (if even available) are getting very, very expensive.

Good luck, and enjoy your new deck.

I just built a new deck in northeast, made of IPE or ironwood. Seemed to be very cool to walk on during hot summer day. Only problem I've had has been is very slippery when we have snow. It was pretty expensive compared with pressure treated, but great looking. Some very good prices ****** too if you can wait for shipping. I did not use the azek or similar because it seems that over time the " wood look" surface fades off. Our local playgrounds have these and they are not holding up to the weather (pressure treated seems to last much longer, and IPE is supposed to last even longer).