+ Reply to Thread

Default Ceiling is off 1 1/2"

We gutted our dining room hoping to get working electrical outlets and new lighting installed, but as all you DIYers know nothing ever goes as planned! The ceiling and walls are so off that we feel sheetrock will fail/crack. Right now our plan is to sister 2x8's to the existing ceiling joists and do the same with 2x4's onto the walls to square everything up. It is going to add weeks onto the project and of course more money. Are there any other options? What has been some of your experiences in these situations?

Default Re: Ceiling is off 1 1/2"

you can level the ceiling with blocking and new strapping. cheaper than sistering joists and easier.

Default Re: Ceiling is off 1 1/2"

We've always just taken the time to install tapered furring to level everything out. It's very time consuming but worth it in the end. I don't like sistering because it jams up the bays and makes it harder to run electric and install can lights.

In reality, doing tapered strips shouldn't add weeks to the project but it will add a day or so.

The other thought I have is to make sure you don't have some kind of structural problem that's causing everything to be out of whack in the first place. If not, then you're good to taper!
    Joel @ The Renovation Place

Check out my website at Hidden Content