+ Reply to Thread

Default Non maintained wood siding house with water leaking from somewhere...

hello all. i am new to posting here and am not so handy!
    here is what i have...
    wood siding house built in 97. i moved in in 07. has not been re.stained/caulked (to my knowledge) since built. siding coming loose, cracks, etc. water leaking in on screened in porch... seems to be running down where chimney meets other roof. water leaking in in carport... seems to be coming in where taller part of house meets carport roof... perhaps flashing issue? or water getting in behind siding?
    water damage to soffit all around house (gutter issue?)
    i just don't know where to begin. there is just so much to do... am considering hardie boarding the whole thing as i believe the wood siding is beyond saving, and it is impractical for georgia weather and my ability to keep it up as it should be kept.
    Last edited by lenahall; 02-02-2013 at 11:09 PM.

Default Re: Non maintained wood siding house with water leaking from somewhere...

crud, i can't get a pic to post...

Default Re: Non maintained wood siding house with water leaking from somewhere...

Don't worry, I can't post no steenkin pictures either.

Sure, I love Hardie siding but you'll need to fix the leak first. Start at the highest point and work downwards. The flashing and counter flashing are the usual culprits. A roofer would be the one to fix that. And perhaps the soffit too.

Your house is not water tight, meaning, you need to re-do the exterior. Start with a roof repair including all of the things HR mentioned, remove the wood siding and re-wrap the house. Then install your new hardie boards. Not cheap.