+ Reply to Thread

Default TOH Straightedge

Does anyone know where I can get the metal straightedge Tom Silva uses often on the show? It has a channel down the middle of it to guide the saw. I would love to give this to my Dad as a gift. He's been trying to find one for a long time.

Default Re: TOH Straightedge

it's not just the straight edge, it's the saw also. it comes as a set. they're made by several companies like Fein and Dewalt. the setup, i believe, costs somewhere in the $400-$800 range depending on which manufacturer you get it from.

your probably talking about the festool TS-55 track saw if it was green, grey and purple.. the saw runs in the track. dewalt and makita also make them.

the festool is arund $550, the dewalt is $500 and the makita is $450.. if you want a longer track your going to have to purchase it seperately and their not interchangable with the other brands,

the old way of doing the same thing is simply a straight piece of 3/4 stock thats clamped down to a line.. do a search for circular saw shootboard
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I have the Makita version and love it. The track and parts that join two sections are from Festool as are the clamps to hold the track to the work piece. So, these parts are interchangeable.

I have made several cabinets for myself and others. Also, this is a great tool when one cannot use a table saw but want the same accuracy. Like when I needed to cut a glued up 5/4 maple top that was 20 inches deep and 9 feet long. No way I could do it any other way and get a perfect cut.