+ Reply to Thread

Default How to unclog a toilet

HOW NOT TO UNCLOG A TOILET:

1. Ask host for a plunger.
    2. Insert plunger into toilet.
    3. Push down on plunger rapidly and forcefully.

WHY THIS DOESN'T WORK:

1. A sharp, downward plunge tends to pack the clog in tighter.
    2. It gets nasty stuff everywhere.
    3. It's embarrassing to ask your host for a plunger.

HOW TO UNCLOG A TOILET:

1. Save your guests the embarrassment. Equip every bathroom with a plunger. It should be the kind with a horn to direct the force into the trap. Save the flat kind for sinks and showers.
    2. Insert plunger into toilet.
    3. Slowly push the plunger all the way down. This will get rid of trapped air so it doesn't explode violently when you begin plunging.
    4. With short, quick strokes (think jackhammer) move plunger handle up and down. This creates a back-and-forth action that breaks up the clog.
    5. Lift the plunger slightly (don't lift it out of the water yet) to see if it drains. If not, repeat step 4.
    6. When the toilet drains, flush it again and rinse off the plunger in the "clean" water.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Default Re: How to unclog a toilet

For years I've been telling guests not to use too much paper all at once (since they can't control the other stuff)...some listen and some don't.

soooo im guessing a.spruce is at your house watching super bowl pregame.. you shouldnt have let him eat so many wings
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    soooo im guessing a.spruce is at your house watching super bowl pregame.. you shouldnt have let him eat so many wings
    Spruce said he would come, but he's not here yet.

This SB we are serving whatchmecallit, pizza nuggets.

BTW, who wins today?

i was thinking it was gonna be a 27-14 niners win but thats out the window.. then early morning i had a gut feeling that the nerves would get the kaepernick and hes be a bust thus putting alex smith back under the center... but it looks like ray lewis is going out with another ring much like reggie white did in 97 with the packers.. r.i.p minister of defense. .it was such a shock to hear he passed before he was inducted into canton
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I have bought every product on the market to keep my toilet running in tip top condition. Super Bowl Sunday is the ultimate test. I 'll let you know how it turns out!

This looks like a good place to say hello.

I'm with McGuire's Express Plumbing in Oklahoma. Watched a lot of TOH over the years. We're of the belief there's always something new, and we should be ready to learn and adapt. So here we are...

We do love our football in Oklahoma. But after last year, it's all about getting back to the NBA championship. Only this time, we're winning it!

And when we do, I shall return here to offer our report on how the toilets in Oklahoma City are holding up.

Look forward to exchanging solutions and ideas with everyone.