+ Reply to Thread

Default SEWER LINE REPLACEMENT help..

We need advice on what to do about a 50year old line that backs up at least three times a year, clay pipe with some cracks and a lot of tree roots. We've gotten two stimates and an additional one for lining.
    What should be the estimated cost?
    which one is the best option, replacement or linning?

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP

Default Re: SEWER LINE REPLACEMENT help..

Quote Originally Posted by cris&liz View Post
    What should be the estimated cost?
    which one is the best option, replacement or linning?
    Cost is not something we can answer, as we do not live in your area and cannot guess at what the going rate is.

Replacement or lining? Depends on the condition of the line, considering you've got clay pipe, I'd lean towards replacement because the clay pipe is likely full of hills and valley's, which promote clogs, if you replace the line you start fresh with a flat, straight line.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

It depends on various factors, like the length of the main sewer line, your budget and other conditions.

1. Replacing involves digging trenches, removing the old clay pipes and installing new ABS pipes. A proven solution.

2. Lining or trenchless is a newer technology and may not be possible for all sewer lines.

You have two estimates, get a third. Then you will know the estimated cost for your city/region. The same work will be a different cost in my yard.
    Spend some time looking up reviews of the contractors on.line, keeping in mind people are more likely to post horror stories as opposed to a story of "the work was done, my drains flow but my yard looked kinda bad afterward."

Since you're not in a rush, ask each of the contractors if they are willing to lower the price and put you on a waiting list for their slower season. Not everyone likes to dig in the cold, or the rain, or hunting season.

It can't hurt to ask.

You should also get bids from excavation contractors, not just the rooter companies that excavate as a side line. I find that the excavation contractors perform this type of work at a more reasonable rate in our area.
    Slow The Flow

Thanks everyone for the helpfull advice.

One of the contractors recommends removing the sewer trap and cast-iron section of the line. Is this a good idea? our concern is the smell or fumes that can filter into the house, or issues with replacing the cast-iron pipe that is right next to the water main and gas line.
    Cris & Liz

Cris & Liz,

It's hard to answer the question on cost other than to say that replacement of the line can be very expensive.

I would not recommend lining it because like someone else said, there are probably hills and valleys that are making the problem worse. I would not remove any traps. The smell can be an issue and I'm pretty sure in your area it would be against code.

I'm in suburban Chicago and when we've done sewer replacements in the past its cost was about seven to eight thousand dollars. That was replacing a line about 35' long to a depth of roughly 6' underground.

Hope this helps.
    Joel @ The Renovation Place

Check out my website at Hidden Content

As others have said, lining is not an option if the pipe does not have a constant downhill slope.

Traditional replacement methods involve trenching. In some cases, you may have to disturb existing pavement, concrete, landscaping, or other structures, and that gets horribly expensive. A possible alternative to trenching is directional boring: think of a horizontal well-drilling rig. Only a small entry and exit trench are needed; the directional bore can go under everything else.

Directional boring is typically more expensive than trenching if you're going across an open area. It can end up being cheaper if there is a bunch of other stuff in the way that must be replaced.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.