+ Reply to Thread

Default Old Dining Table

Okay, first off, I'm not sure if this is the right board category for a post like this.
    I scored an awesome old tiled dining table for $20. Problem is it;s sat in the rain for a bit and is very old in general. It's tiled on top with a wooden frame and structure. What should I do to it. The leg structure is very sturdy, but the edges look very worn out. I'm thinking the wood needs some help. Directions please.

Default Re: Old Dining Table

If the table is in good structural condition, then simply refinish it to your liking. What you decide to do to it will require different processes.

If you want to see the wood, then sand it until it is clean fresh wood, then stain and/or clear coat. Minwax liquid stains are great, McKloskies polyurethanes are top notch and easy to work with.

If you want to paint, you won't have to sand quite so much because the paint is going to hide stains and such. Sand everything smooth, prime it with a good quality primer, such as Bullseye 123, then topcoat with an alkyd paint.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    If the table is in good structural condition, then simply refinish it to your liking. What you decide to do to it will require different processes.

If you want to see the wood, then sand it until it is clean fresh wood, then stain and/or clear coat. Minwax liquid stains are great, McKloskies polyurethanes are top notch and easy to work with.

If you want to paint, you won't have to sand quite so much because the paint is going to hide stains and such. Sand everything smooth, prime it with a good quality primer, such as Bullseye 123, then topcoat with an alkyd paint.
    I definitely want to see the wood. Can I sand by hand? Also should I give any attention to in between the tiles? Would I need to sand between coats of stain or varnish?

Hand sanding is best, though will take the longest. Some areas you won't have a choice but to hand sand. I would invest in a decent palm sander to help you knock out the larger, open areas. Stay away from orbital sanders, as they are too aggressive for this task, a good vibrating palm sander, sanding block, and a selection of sand paper will be all you need.

I would start with 100 grit paper, it is rough enough to do the job without leaving deep scratches behind. The palm sander will get the worst off, then you follow up with a sanding block and finish by hand, stroking with the grain. I wouldn't go much above 120 or 150 grit paper to finish with.

Without knowing what the current finish is or its condition, it's hard to recommend whether you'd need a stripping agent or if sanding alone will suffice. If it is painted, then you may want to go the stripper route to reduce the risk of exposure to lead based paint. Don't forget to wear a dust mask while sanding, regardless of the presence of nasties in the finish, you don't want to be breathing the dust.

Again, without seeing the table, it is difficult to advise what to do with the tile and grout. If it is in overall good condition, you can clean and seal it. If it is not in good condition, you can remove the grout and replace it, then seal the new grout.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Can't figure out how to get my pictures sized small enough to upload. Gonna give it a go though.

Due to spam issues with this site, uploading pics isn't possible anymore, you must host them somewhere else and link them here. Another method would be to create a pdf file and upload that instead.