+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Dug under footer

A source of anxiety over the past couple weeks for me is an ongoing project that I am concerned will cause issues down the road.

I re-ran my main gas line under the footer so I could put a patio on the side of my house. The weather turned and I never really got around to finishing the project. Now I have a 6-12 inch hole dug under the footer. Poor judgement too, is that the hole is directly underneath the i-beam that is carrying the load on that side of the house.

When temps get above freezing, I was looking to fill that gap. I got a gallon bucket of hydraulic cement that I was going to shove under there. Is this a good solution? Or should I backfill and let gravity take over? A trusted source said I have nothing to worry about, but others have told me I have a potential for a real problem. Just looking for some advice.

Default Re: Dug under footer

Depends, if the undermined footing is along the length of the house, meaning it is a small hole under a 20' span of footing, no problem, however, if it is a 12" hole under an 18" square footing, I think you can see where this could be quite an issue.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you have a open hole down to your footings and live in a cold climate the ground could freeze under the footing and raise the footing along with the foundation.

John

johns right, if there is a hole is should be getting insulated with hay bales if possible and tarped over to keep out water and snow
    fire up the saw and make some dust