+ Reply to Thread

Default Cabinet Hardware - Hinge

Not sure where to post this, maybe I'll try it in a couple places. I'm trying to determine the brand of this hinge. The difference I notice from this from most others is the doughnut around the center hole. One other may be the hinge itself. It has 5 rings (not sure what they're called) around the hinge pin.

Thanks for any ideas

Bill
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Cabinet Hardware - Hinge

Here's a view from the back side.
    Attached Files Attached Files

If you google "cabinet hinge" you'll find many sites with hundreds of options.

It appears to be a 3/8" half-inset hinge for lipped cabinet doors. They are still available. I suspect that the screw pattern will not match; the original holes will need to be filled and re-drilled for the replacements.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Those hinges are still commonly available at home burrito.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Those hinges are still commonly available at home burrito.
    That's what I thought as well. I bought several and found the first one didn't work. The holes lined up just perfectly but moved the door maybe 1/8 inch towards the door pull. The result is the door hits the jam and won't close.

Moving it over enough to get the door close is not enought to get into new wood (it cuts the old screw hole in half)

It appears the spacing between the center of the jam screw hole and the center of the door hole is just a little larger.

That's why I'm trying to identify the original manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
    It appears the spacing between the center of the jam screw hole and the center of the door hole is just a little larger.

That's why I'm trying to identify the original manufacturer.
    That's how it is with things that are more than 5 minutes old, ok, I exaggerate, 6 minutes old.

Materials and designs are constantly changing, if only minutely, which makes it frustrating in cases like this. As was said, the only fix is to fill the holes and move the hinge because 1/8" is too much to try to "spring" the hinges to fit.

Using wooden toothpicks, dip the tip of the toothpick in wood glue and slip it into the old holes, continue until you have to tap them in lightly with a hammer to get a tight fit and complete fill of the holes. Trim off excess toothpick with a knife or snap them off. Wipe up any excess glue. Once the glue sets up you can redrill new holes as needed. The hinge plate should cover the old holes just fine.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

A. Spruce - now that's an idea. I really really didn't want to drill new holes but I'm heading in that direction.

I completely understand that hardware chages but in this case the change is so minor I wonder what was the benefit to the manufacturer.

Oh well, sorta like paying taxes, just do it and move on.

I have that exact same hinge on my cabinets and I can't find a replacement either. The only solution I have for now is magnets. I have had a couple actually break so I did the toothpick thing and installed similar looking hinges from Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
    A. Spruce - now that's an idea. I really really didn't want to drill new holes but I'm heading in that direction.
    Start the holes first, with a punch like a large nail. Then you drill bit won't slide around. Heed the advice to let the glue dry in the filled-in holes.