+ Reply to Thread

Default Better hand pump for the home?

After going through several power outages from different types of storms, my friends, family and neighbors realized that their emergency hand pumps were not adequate to supply the water they needed. Some have small farms (water for animals and gardens) and some have large families. We all have considered backup generators, solar and other means. However, storms can take out a solar system, and if you can’t get gas for the generators like the victims of the hurricane Sandy storm, then you just would be out of luck.

So, any recommendations on a high volume hand pump?

Thank you
    Last edited by Outman; 01-31-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Default Re: Better hand pump for the home?

I don't believe their is any thing as high volume hand pump, but as I recall from my youth, a lever handled pump can get plenty of water once you get it going. Only works with a shallow well.
    Look at lehmans.com for non-electric pumps

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    I don't believe their is any thing as high volume hand pump, but as I recall from my youth, a lever handled pump can get plenty of water once you get it going. Only works with a shallow well.
    That's the type of hand pumps being used, yet not adequate for the needs of large families and small farms.

Thank you for the information though,

One consideration would be to install a large holding tank, big enough for a couple of days of water.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Here in hurricane central we store gasoline during the hurricane season. When the threat of the recent hurricane passes, we use that fuel for our veehickles to burn it off.

There are wind powered pumps as well, but you'll still need some sort of reservoir to store it and some pumping mechanism unless you can do a gravity feed from a water tower.

Or an old fashioned windmill and a holding tank. A local farm just got a zoning variance to install one. Around here if it isn't mentioned in the code, you need to get a variance to build a structure.

I just did a search for "deep well hand pump." This one came up, it looks interesting:

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/deepwellpump.htm

The advantage of the pump on that page is that it can be used to pump into and pressurize your existing water system by hand.

The classic "pitcher pump" isn't going to provide sufficient capacity and is severely limited on the well depth. For good capacity or deeper wells, you need a hand pump that puts the pump cylinder below the water level. A long rod extends from the handle down to the pump cylinder.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 02-02-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    I just did a search for "deep well hand pump." This one came up, it looks interesting:

The advantage of the pump on that page is that it can be used to pump into and pressurize your existing water system by hand.

The classic "pitcher pump" isn't going to provide sufficient capacity and is severely limited on the well depth. For good capacity or deeper wells, you need a hand pump that puts the pump cylinder below the water level. A long rod extends from the handle down to the pump cylinder.
    Thank you, I will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Outman View Post
    Thank you, I will look into it.
    It doesn't look to be a cheap item! Maybe that's a good thing.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Well, there is now - A high volume deep well hand pump that pumps a lot of water and they have videos to prove it. 13+ gallons a minute from a deep well. You can even water you garden with this pump and pressure tank.

Check it out!

http://waterbuckpump.com/2013/07/14/...aterbuck-pump/