I have a Cape Cod with a partially finished upstairs. There is one bedroom upstairs with unfinished attic spaces on either side. During the summer this bedroom is oppressively hot and it is chilly in the winter. I'm concerned that I don't have adequate insulation in the unfinished space or the wrong configuration.

I would post a link to a phot but since this is my first post I'm not allowed to post links.

Other items in no particular order.
There is blown insulation on the floor but either it has settled over the years or wasn't installed properly because it doesn't come up to the level of the floor joists.
There is R19 on the roof and R13 on the walls of the bedroom.
I have three "turbo vents" (circlar things that look like airplane engines) in the rooft and they seem to spin a lot of the time.

Here are my concerns and questions.
Should I have insulation on the roof? I've heard that the roof should not be insulated but I can't seem to find anything definitive.
I have soffit vents but I am concerned they are covered up by the blown insulation and thus not very effective.
If I have insultation on the roof aren't I supposed to have some kind of rafter vents?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John