+ Reply to Thread

Default paint my ceiling fan?

I have an out dated ceiling fan in my living room. Rather than buy a new one can I paint it?

Default Re: paint my ceiling fan?

You can paint the motor, but painting the blades will surely make it wobble and that can be pretty severe. C fan blades are highly balanced. There is no way you'd be able to get the amount of paint used for each fan blade to be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    You can paint the motor, but painting the blades will surely make it wobble and that can be pretty severe. C fan blades are highly balanced. There is no way you'd be able to get the amount of paint used for each fan blade to be the same.
    That is what balancing kits are for.

My concern would be coating the motor and cooling screens, blocking cooling air from the motor. As long as it is only the housing and/or blade parts, painting should be fine. I would recommend using aerosol paint for ease of use and thin, even coating.

1 - Clean the fan to remove all dust, grease, and dirt build up.
    2 - mask off air vents to the motor and anything else you don't want painted.
    3 - Apply a primer.
    4 - Apply paint.
    5 - Rebalance fan if necessary.

Follow all instruction on product labels.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I agree with Spruce. You can paint the fan without too much trouble. Depending on the quality of the fan many of them aren't that balanced anyway.

I would recommend spray painting the fan and blades. It will give you a nice even finish and you'll have the greatest chance at keeping the amount of paint on each blade the same. The drawback to spray paint is that you'll have a limited color selection.

Like Spruce said make sure you clean and prep well.
    Joel @ The Renovation Place

Check out my website at Hidden Content