+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Metuchen NJ
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: My new old house

    Quote Originally Posted by function View Post
    Do you want/need to replace the siding or have broken parts of it hanging around? If not, don't give it a thought. Asbestos is actually fantastic stuff, and your insurance agent will tell you as much. It doesn't burn, it is made into products that take paint well and it is a fantastic insulator. Asbestos only becomes a problem when it is being removed or has become compromised. A bigger concern would be asbestos insulation on old radiator pipes as the pipes are probably old enough to need to be replaced and you will have the extra cost of the abatement.
    Some of it is coming off and has been removed from the back of the house (nails and small pieces still apparent). I just don't like the way it looks. We are very close to the Delaware River and get very cool and moist air drafts, so I am looking at some kind of siding that will help with that. Any advise or tips would be awesome!!

    Thank You
    Last edited by RJN; 01-31-2013 at 04:04 PM.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Metuchen NJ
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: My new old house

    Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    For the room where the water was/is stored, treat the wood surfaces with a sodium borate solution such as Timbor or Boracare. Either of these products will kill mold and fungus, drive out termites, borers beetles and other insects. If you have or suspect wood boring worms, spray first with a BT spray to kill the worms and make the wood toxic to them, it is not toxic to humans but you don't want to breath it while spraying.
    Thanks Great Advise! Is the timbor and boracare safe to apply?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,710

    Default Re: My new old house

    It is relatively harmless to humans. You can apply it with a large paintbrush or spray it on with a garden sprayer. The Boracare is a little more toxic to people as it contains ethylene glycol (antifreeze) so you don't want to inhale too much of the mist. Wear a paint mask or respirator and don't do it around children. Once it soaks in, it should be OK.

    Timbor comes as a powder and can be mixed with either antifreeze or water. Antifreeze increases its mold killing ability, but mixing it with water does make it less toxic if you have small children that might "mouth" the wood. You can paint over the wood after it is treated.

    The sodium borate itself is a mix of 2 parts boric acid to three parts Borax (good ole 20 Mule Team), you can mix up your own from Roach Powder (98% Boric acid) and 20 Mule Team Borax (laundry additive). You have to mix it into boiling water or antifreeze at 280 so if you use the antifreeze, I recommend that you use a camp stove outdoors and an old pot. Mix about 1.5 lbs borates per gallon of water. If using antifreeze, mix 3-4 lbs of borates with one gallon of antifreeze, then cut with one or two gallons of water.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •