+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My new old house

Just bought a home in Cochecton NY that was built over 100 years ago. It is great in the fact that it is a beautiful location, great fishing and we are close to family.

The house does have some concerns for me;

- old room under front of house was used to store water and is always damp & posts have beetle signs

- the floors are slopped

- siding may be asbestos

- the porch is slopped

Our family love the place knowing we have some work to do.

I am looking for some advise on our concerns and want to send an invite to the TOH crew to come join us in upstate NY to share some ideas/help and enjoy some home cooking, fishing, canoeing and good stories around the fire.

Peace

Default Re: My new old house

Congratulations on your purchase. That was the easy part.

Now roll up your sleeves and start fixing. I'm yet to see a house that needs no work. At least you get to do it your way.

A tip: sometimes it's more logical and economical to replace rather than fix. Example: if your hood is so greasy, the lights won't come on, next the fan will stop working - may be cheaper to get a new hood. It's your call. Personally, I rather replace.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    A tip: sometimes it's more logical and economical to replace rather than fix. Example: if your hood is so greasy, the lights won't come on, next the fan will stop working - may be cheaper to get a new hood. It's your call. Personally, I rather replace.
    I would generally agree, and, for someone who is handy to tinker with something and get it working again is not a bad thing. In this instance, the key is to know when to say when. Tinker once or twice to get it working, after that, replacement will be the best way to go. If you're paying someone to work on your property, then always replace with new, good quality products, and make sure the tradesman knows what he's doing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Just to be clear, I have a permanent home in NJ (with the hood light issue) and just bought this upstate NY home as a weekend place.

Between the two homes my sleeves will be rolled up for quite a while. The weekend house has issues described in my first post.

Water room under the house, un-level floors & the siding that I am questioning if it is asbestos.

Guess I could take a piece of the siding off and take it to get analyzed to find out.

Any advise on the other issues are most welcome.

For the room where the water was/is stored, treat the wood surfaces with a sodium borate solution such as Timbor or Boracare. Either of these products will kill mold and fungus, drive out termites, borers beetles and other insects. If you have or suspect wood boring worms, spray first with a BT spray to kill the worms and make the wood toxic to them, it is not toxic to humans but you don't want to breath it while spraying.

Slopped floors may be a sign of weak floor joist(s). If you have access, see what's deficient and decide what to do. Or have a framer look at the joists and give you his assessment.

The same applies to the porch.

Have your siding analyzed and tested. When you have the results you an determine what to do next.

The porch should be slopped, its really a question of how and how much it is slopped. Your porch may or may not have a problem.

Do you want/need to replace the siding or have broken parts of it hanging around? If not, don't give it a thought. Asbestos is actually fantastic stuff, and your insurance agent will tell you as much. It doesn't burn, it is made into products that take paint well and it is a fantastic insulator. Asbestos only becomes a problem when it is being removed or has become compromised. A bigger concern would be asbestos insulation on old radiator pipes as the pipes are probably old enough to need to be replaced and you will have the extra cost of the abatement.

My house is 140 years old and everything slopes. When you live in an old house you expect that kind of thing, you just need to make sure that any movement happened a long time ago, and not recently, it's part of the charm. I suspect that if you wnated a nice, square house with right angles you'd have bought a newer house.

As for the asbestos, I think you need to get someone in to inspect it, someone certified by the EPA as the material could be very old and starting to deteriorate. If it's still in good shape and out of the way then it's probably best to leave it, you can have the surfaces sealed.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your great advise. The house has it charm and we love it. The advice on the water room is great, asbestos siding just looks bad. The floors being slopped, as stated are just the way it is. We did have some movement over the years. The front part of the house rests on one of the water room cement walls, but the corners and back bathroom are supported with a pile of field stones and this is where we had movement.. In the spring I will be boxing these old field stone pillars in with a new pillars of cement & re-bar to stabilize.

Many Thanks and Best of wishes to all of you!!