+ Reply to Thread

Smile Grout on 20 in tiled floors

I am having a problem with sandy particles on my new floors.The floors are 20in porcelin tiles. The guy that laid the floor used wd 40 to seal the grout. I have never heard of such a thing and nobody I have talked to has either. How do I seal and gloss the grout to prevent the sandy residue each time we sweep.

Default Re: Grout on 20 in tiled floors

grouts are supposed to have a latex additive added to them to help bind the sand particles in the grout together. wd40 i assume would disolve the grout making the sand come out when it's being swept. that's the worst idea i have ever heard of. plus the wd40 would also stain the grout as well as prevent any grout sealer from sticking to the grout. the only advice i could give you would be to have him come back, remove all the grout and regrout the floor properly.

That's a new one for me.

I don't remember seeing "grout sealant" anywhere on the WD40 label nor WD40 on the grout label.

Your tile 'professional' should be digging out the old grout then re-grouting your floor after he strips off any trace of the WD40

Read this thread on how to properly grout

Thanks to each of you. The problem is the tile guy is long gone. To remove the grout I will have to hire some one or remove it myself. I may try in a small area in a corner or closet and see if a sealer with a gloss will work. I have a bottle of sealer with gloss for un glazed tile and grout.I will try that. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Sorry about your inconvenience, but s--t happens.

Luckily, there are grout removers to make the job somewhat easier. These are hand tools that break down the grout. Just be careful not to damage the tiles.

Next time don't hire the cheapest guy around, now you know that the cheap is actually expensive.

Smile Re: Grout on 20 in tiled floors

You are so right. Thanks for your help and advice.