+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Transition Too Wide for T Molding

I'm installing a Pergo laminate floor in my kitchen. The opening between my kitchen and the family room is 88 inches wide, but the T modling that Pergo supplies is only 78 inches long. What is the best method for splicing two sections together so that it will withstand the foot traffic? I've tried emailing Pergo, but received no answer.

Default Re: Transition Too Wide for T Molding

Back cut the longer piece at a 30* angle, so that the toe of the cut is on the bottom edge. Now cut your short piece at the mating angle and install.

For a better visual, when you lay the long molding on the floor, you want the bevel cut to go from the top surface to the bottom surface, parallel to the floor, again, the toe or point of the cut will be on the bottom. The short molding will be cut in the same manner, only with the point on the top of the molding.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I have no idea of what back cutting means as a DIY'er. Can't find anything on it on the internet either.
    I have the same problem with t molding. The one for the laminate flooring is too short by 1 ft so I will have to cut a second piece to fit. Can't I just butt it up and glue it for a seamless look or does back cutting hide the seam in some way? I have heard of coping for crown molding but the t molding is mdf and I am worried about even making straight cuts.

Yes, you can do a butt joint, however, it will not be invisible, and over time will likely open up. A back bevel joint is the same thing as a scarf joint. You are simply cutting an angle on one piece and a complimentary mating angle on the second piece, so that when you place both pieces together, the angled cuts overlap and the two pieces become one.

As described in my previous post, you want this angle to flow top to bottom on the pieces, not side to side.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Go to flooring outlets, many of them carry 8' long T moldings.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Go to flooring outlets, many of them carry 8' long T moldings.
    In what universe? Every flooring molding I've ever encountered was less than 8 feet, some less than 7 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    In what universe? Every flooring molding I've ever encountered was less than 8 feet, some less than 7 feet.
    At DE SOTO FLOORING SALES they even come in 12' long.

They are also in N Cal.

Google says "desotosales.com" and they have 25 western locations, so I'm sure at least one of them will ship what you need. Plus if they have it then someone else does too- you can dig for them yourself as I don't know who to point you toward. If I need something like that I just make my own.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    Google says "desotosales.com" and they have 25 western locations, so I'm sure at least one of them will ship what you need. Plus if they have it then someone else does too- you can dig for them yourself as I don't know who to point you toward. If I need something like that I just make my own.

Phil
    You're right about it. De Soto Sales is just a distributor, which means: there are manufacturers out there who make them and sell to other distributors as well.

Making your own is a different issue for most folks. And most subs.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Making your own is a different issue for most folks. And most subs.
    For most folks I agree; they have neither the equipment or understanding which is why places like DeSoto come into play. The subs are a different story though- a good sub will be able to handle every aspect of their job including custom work whether they do it themselves or have it made by someone else then they install it. "We can't do that" is not an acceptable answer when it can be done.

As one of my customers is fond of saying about the folks he's hired and fired through the years in comparison to me, "That's what separates the men from the boys." And for me, that's the kind of thing that makes my extra efforts worthwhile.

Phil